• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Cable for M101A1

McGuyver

Hi guys,

got a question about the power cable for the M101A1 This is the piece that has the 8 wires on one end (7 pins and 1 grounding connector) with big rubber encased socket on the other end.

Well anyway, I need to get a new power for my M101A1. The current Technical manual for The M101A2 says the P/N for this trailer is 8722865. First off, is this the exact same P/N that was used for the A1 version? I imagine there may be a remote chance there could be some difference given the lighting and wiring differences between the A1 and A2, but I honestly don't know.

Now the second question. I've found a source selling a 60" power cable for the M416 (1/4 ton jeep trailer) P/N 8722864, which looks virtually identical to the one I need for My M101A1, except it is apparently a foot shorter (mine measures approximately 72" whereas this one is 60") So now the question: has anyone here used the shorter 8722864 on their M101 trailer and is it short enough to be an issue? The cable I have on the trailer right now seems to be a little on the long side anyway, so taking a foot off the length may not be a problem. Your input on these two questions would be greatly appreciated.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cables are the same electrically, so thats your answer to question #1... As to the length, that one I cant help ya with, but it shouldnt make that much of a difference, as it's just extra slack.

Armada

McGuyver, The shorter cable will work. When I restored my 101, I replaced both the pigtail and the underbody wiring harness. I had the same problem as you and could not find the correct one anywhere. I picked up a NOS 416 harness and pigtail from Frontline or maybe it was Saturn, and they told me it would work. It did, but there is not much slack in the harness from the tailights to the junction box on the tongue. There is plenty of pigtail length though, with no trouble in turns, etc. If need be, you can move the junction box forward or back a bit if you had to get more play.
First pic is the underneath, second shows the junction box, 3rd shows the shorter pigtail installed.

Attachments

McGuyver

Thanks for the input guys.

Armada,

so you say you still have enough slack in the pigtail end in sharp turns? That was the one consideration that was still giving me pause on whether or not to go ahead and buy it. I will be towing it behind my M880, so the recepticle on the bumper is fairly close to the pintle.

by the way, I like that spare tire carrier shown on the trailer, anyone know where I might be able to get one?
Also was wondering if anyone knew a source for obtaining the two drawbar pieces of the tongue? (P/N 7339474 and 7339475 in the current M101A2 technical manual TM 9-2330-202-14P) Mine are bent a little and could probably stand to be replaced. I could probably fab some new ones if I had to, but if I could buy a pair in good shape, I'd rather do that.

I'm also missing p/n 12436772S (the front rack piece) I could build the wood parts but the metal corners are what I really need. They look identical to the hinges on the rack in the back. Anybody got any old ones laying around?

Thanks again.

Armada

so you say you still have enough slack in the pigtail end in sharp turns?
Yes. I tow it with my CUCV (see avatar). No problems with turns, plenty of cable left. May be a different story towing with something else based on the location of the connection on the tow vehicle, but your M880 will have no problem.

The spare tire carrier is for an M37. The bottom of the 'leg' is bent inward to attach to the trailer. There are reproductions being made if you can't find a used one.

McGuyver

I found a supplier who says he has the cable specifically for the M101 trailer, but he says the NSN number is 00-830-6663 and it is about 8' long. My Technical manual TM 9-2330-202-14P for the M101A2 lists this cable as being NSN 6150008306672, or P/N 8722865 So I'm a little confused about the difference in the NSN number. Was there a change from the A1 and A2 version of the trailer? the cable I have on the trailer right now is about 74" long ( a little over 6') with plenty of slack, so I'm a bit leary of going with one with almost another 2' of length. any ideas or suggestions guys?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked at OD Iron / Trailers? They list the cable you are looking for: PN 8722865, 70" long, for $91.78

McGuyver

I just did a search on Ebay, and couldn't find any power cables for the M101 or the M105. Can you post a link here for one of the auctions? I'd be very much interested in seeing it. Thanks.

McGuyver

gringeltaube said:
Have you checked at OD Iron / Trailers? They list the cable you are looking for: PN 8722865, 70" long, for $91.78
Thanks for the heads up. However, now I'm really confused, because OD Iron is listing the 8722865 P/N as being shorter than the 8722864 cable. My understanding was that the 8722864 was about 60" long and the 8722865 was around 72". However this page lists different lengths altogether. :?
See the link below for what I'm talking about.
http://odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=29

McGuyver

I decided to take a chance and go with the shorter 1/4 ton trailer cable that you used. I looked at all the other options available, and they were all at least 2 feet longer than the one I have on my trailer right now (and that one is already about a foot longer than it needs to be.) So I figured the shorter one might work out just right for my truck, since I don't need the extra length due to the fact that the connection is right next to the pintle on the bumper. I suppose the longer cable may be needed to run the trailer behind trucks such as the M37 or M715 which may have the connector mounted clear out near the corners of the bumper, but on my M880 it doesn't need to be that long. I'll let you know when it arrives if my gamble has paid off (keeping my fingers crossed.)

JB

Armada, Not trying to hijack but what make, style, & size tires are you using on your trailer? I have regular ND tires on mine but I want toreplace them sometime soon.

Oh yeah I got my underbody harness from Saturn (I think) & there is not much slack to reach the taillight on the left side either.

McGuyver

I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but by all initial indications, it seems as though it will be long enough. I will be starting on replacing the wiring harness and cable tomorrow and will let you all know the results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks