• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power for my Vic 1 and PRC-10

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be trotting on old ground here but... I have a Vic-1 system. To power it, I want the current to go through a MX-7778/GRC electrical suppressor. If possible, I want the current also go to my PRC-10 radio. The problem, as many already know, it the cable that goes from the battery to the suppressor. That’s supposed to be cable number CX-10071/U, which is incredibly difficult to find. Time for plan B. I’ve got a damaged AM-1780/GRC. It has a 4 point plug that is the same as many other electrical parts. I also have several cables that will work. Step one was to tear down the 1780. Pretty easy. I definitely need to get a better soldering iron. Anyway, the plug was easy to get to and easy to remove, once the soldered connections were disconnected. Moving over to the MX-7778/GRC went okay except for one problem. The two wires that connect the power plug have about a metric ton of solder. I held a soldering iron against it for a solid hour, nothing happened. I’ll figure out a solution for the two wires...
Anyway, both boxes are opened up and once I have two wires, I’ll put it back together and test it. Pics below:

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, got the wires removed from the original plug. I used a propane torch to remove about a pound of old solder. Caution: molten solder is incredibly hot on bare skin! Got the replacement plug all cleaned up, which took about five minutes. Got my good soldering gun and soldered the wires to the replacement plug. Wasn’t easy but I think I got it done right. Started reassembling the 7778 and my back went by by, gone cause of cold weather. Oh well, I’ll try again tomorrow. For reference, I’ve included the original plug. Note the different center post. Here’s what the replacement plug looks with wires installed:

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad news, my experiment failed. No damage was done to the 7778 overall but one of the pins in the replacement plug did get melted. So, next plan. Remove damaged part. Obtain a replacement, which I have several busted up electrical, radio type components. I’ll get the fitting (already to remove) swap out the plug, install new wiring (got a bunch in a teletype shelter) and figure out how to get power from the truck batteries through the 7778, safely. I’ve found some diagrams on components, still need to find the 7778 manual, if there is one.
Back to the drawing board as the used to say.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This project is now on hold. Gonna take a bit more than a plug and cable swap. I’ll do more research and find an answer. Somehow I want to put a circuit breaker inline between the battery and the radio/intercom. I wonder is a 15 amp circuit would do the trick?

CommoChief

This project is now on hold. Gonna take a bit more than a plug and cable swap. I’ll do more research and find an answer. Somehow I want to put a circuit breaker inline between the battery and the radio/intercom. I wonder is a 15 amp circuit would do the trick?
I have done that in two deuces and am about to install it in a third. Got a small breaker box at Lowe’s and use a 15 amp breaker. Ha terry to breaker, breaker to radio mount, cable from radio mount to Vic-1. Works great.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s.....”Battery to breaker...”
So I got this straight, take a wire (cable?) from the battery and plug that into a 15 amp C/B. Then run a wire (cable?) to the radio mount. And finally wire (cable?) to the VIC-1. My question is the wires and/or cables. I can see using the mil-spec cable from the radio mount to the VIC-1. However, what size cable would you recommend for the other connections?

CommoChief

So I got this straight, take a wire (cable?) from the battery and plug that into a 15 amp C/B. Then run a wire (cable?) to the radio mount. And finally wire (cable?) to the VIC-1. My question is the wires and/or cables. I can see using the mil-spec cable from the radio mount to the VIC-1. However, what size cable would you recommend for the other connections?
Well the radio mount takes a special cable - I can’t remember
the number I will get that cable number to you shortly. The cables from the battery to the breaker box I used are 6 gauge battery cables I picked up at Walmart for $6 each. Lugs on the battery terminals and I cut the lugs off the other end to run into the breaker box. Easy.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the radio mount takes a special cable - I can’t remember
the number I will get that cable number to you shortly. The cables from the battery to the breaker box I used are 6 gauge battery cables I picked up at Walmart for $6 each. Lugs on the battery terminals and I cut the lugs off the other end to run into the breaker box. Easy.
Thank you! Once it warms up, I’ll get cracking on that job. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the power cable that would go to the mount. I think I’ve also got some 15 amp circuit breakers (GI type). I’m probably the second worst electrician on this site. Just couldn’t figure out how to hook everything together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks