• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Barrman

I have to write this. When I saw your location all I could think of is driving south on I-75 and that climb once you cross the river. There is a similar grade and distance climb in Oklahoma. I was down to 12 mph on the interstate, wide open throttle, black smoke billowing and actually proud of my M35A2 for going that fast. Your hill is steeper and longer. All of us with military vehicles have learned the slow lane isn’t a bad thing.

Basic diesel 101. Air to the engine is not regulated. Engine speed is controlled by the injection pump and the amount of fuel it sends to the engine. So, pushing the pedal down more just adds more fuel. When that fuel is burned completely after mixing with the air nothing but clear heat comes out the exhaust. Too much fuel for the air inside the engine is when black smoke comes out the pipe. Which means black smoke visible in day light is wasted fuel. Besides wasting fuel it also causes the exhaust temperature to be higher. Enough of that and it can cause internal engine troubles. However, normally without a turbo your Exhaust Gas Temperature will never get high enough to melt a piston.

Be aware that all diesel exhaust in the mirror at night with a car behind you is visible.

Pep talk portion of the post. The 6.2 and 6.5 have developed a bit of a cult following over the years. There are those that hate them and those of us that think they are great. Fortunately those of us in the positive realm write about them online a lot. Whatever your issue, if you can describe it well and do some basic checks. The answer is out there. But, with a former military vehicle you have an extra bonus. The Technical Manuals. The government spent way too much money from a tax payer perspective publishing a huge set of instructions to do just about everything to the vehicle. There is even a troubleshooting section that if you follow the steps exactly starting with the very first word will almost always fix your problem. Once baselined the truck should give you very reliable and fun transportation that you can service yourself.

Action

I drove my slantback with 6.2 and 3-speed up and down the cut in the hill without any issues. It was slower by the top, but no black smoke or high rpm. Take dixie highway instead if you are going that way.
My 6.5 turbo did that hill weekly, like a regular car.

996owner2021

I drove my slantback with 6.2 and 3-speed up and down the cut in the hill without any issues. It was slower by the top, but no black smoke or high rpm. Take dixie highway instead if you are going that way.
My 6.5 turbo did that hill weekly, like a regular car.
Do you guys know where I can find the injector fastener bolts with the Allen head top by chance? Noticed that two are missing

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get out the parts TM and look them up, this is a simple item that will help you learn how to use the TM which will help you out immensely in the future.
Then google the parts numbers and search on Fleabay that should give you several options, if nothing else you can get the Specs (thread size length etc) from parts target or one of the other sites.
If you make an effort and still cannot figure it out we will be happy to assist.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To help you get started it should be in TM 9-2320-280-24P-1
Also without pictures we have no idea what you are actually talking about, as Action said the injectors screw directly into the head.
But you know what you are looking at and the TM has pretty good exploded views so you can find the part you need.

996owner2021

Are you talking about the injector line clamp that bolts to the bracket on the valve cover?
So if you're looking at injectors from alternator side, under each injector you can see the glow plugs, and on each side there are supposed to be two bolts on left and right side , but 2 of the lefts are missing on back two injectors

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A picture would really help.....
I am not sure if you are talking about head bolts or exhaust bolts, have you even looked at the TM? or are you expecting everyone to just do the research for you?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about this? it looks like possibly an exhaust bolt missing.
head.jpg

Action

So if you're looking at injectors from alternator side, under each injector you can see the glow plugs, and on each side there are supposed to be two bolts on left and right side , but 2 of the lefts are missing on back two injectors
From description of “bolts missing on injectors”, i would have guessed someone put screws in the return line holes.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had you looked at the TM you would have found them here.
EX manifold.JPG
EX2.JPG
Numbers 13 and 14

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully they are just missing and not broken off in the head, I think I have some, will look in a little while, if I do I will PM you for an address