• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power loss maybe...multiple questions...

HN6

Last year my truck lost some power. I can't really get the RPMS up to go into 5th gear. Not sure if it was combination of 395 tires and camper but it all seemed to happen about the same time and I really noticed it when I added the camper. Although it catches lots of wind it is not very heavy. With my camper on the back trouble even getting full rpm in 4th. Starts great, runs great all the way till about mid range 4th. New filters... clean fuel. I drained a little fuel out of my spin on 30 mic fuel water separator and it is was very clean. I was thinking maybe head gasket but after reading some old info I think it is just normal sepage. Never any very noticeable drips underneath when parked.

The pic of the block is about 30 hrs run time after being washed.

Trying to decide where to start. I started preparing to do the head gasket but don't really want to if not needed. IP probably can use some maintenance as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

ToddJK

Last year my truck lost some power. I can't really get the RPMS up to go into 5th gear. Not sure if it was combination of 395 tires and camper but it all seemed to happen about the same time and I really noticed it when I added the camper. Although it catches lots of wind it is not very heavy. With my camper on the back trouble even getting full rpm in 4th. Starts great, runs great all the way till about mid range 4th. New filters... clean fuel. I drained a little fuel out of my spin on 30 mic fuel water separator and it is was very clean. I was thinking maybe head gasket but after reading some old info I think it is just normal sepage. Never any very noticeable drips underneath when parked.

The pic of the block is about 30 hrs run time after being washed.

Trying to decide where to start. I started preparing to do the head gasket but don't really want to if not needed. IP probably can use some maintenance as well.
I just had that same issue. It was a combination of a dirty fuel filter and a leaking fitting on the bottom of the IP. You obviously have clean filters ect. Does it ever stall after start up like a hard stall, even if the throttle cable is out a couple clicks? If not, I don't think there's an air getting into the fuel system problem.
I've also heard that guys added a better in tank fuel pump and it gave their truck a little bit more power.
I find it hard to believe that camper would make it struggle that hard to not top out in rpms on a flat road or even head on into the wind.

HN6

No hard stalls. my idle Is 1000rpm anything under that it will die out . Maybe 850-900 rpm when good and warm if I pull "up" on the gas peddle. I have rigged my springs because I was having a sticky fuel peddle. Maybe I should clean those inside areas of IP. My fuel pump spray diesel better than a water hose. First hand witness when fixing a fuse and testing pump last year.

I guess I could change filters just to cover my basis.. KISS method. Just find it hard to believe that could be it but I have been wrong many times before.

smoke

Definitely keep it KISS for now. Check both air and fuel filters. Have you ever adjusted your valves? This would be the time. Have you cleaned your injectors. Made sure they properly set and pop off good. Definitely service your IP. Its sound like you have somethings in there sticking. You shouldn't have to set the idle at a 1000rpm for it to stay running. Lube your throttle pedal & linkage up. Check your fuel pressures. Make sure you got lift pressure to filters than check your booster pump when running, etc.. You also got to remember by putting on 395 tires. You just add weight to truck. Plus rotational drag to the truck. Granted we're starting with lower rear gears but you are going from 42" tire to almost 46" tall tire. That like going from 4.10 rear gear to 3.25 rear gear for example. You loss take off power(grunt) but you gain top end speed "if you have the power to do it". Than you add a camper on the back which make it even more less aerodynamic. If all else fails and you have a pyro and boost gauge you could turn it up some. Good luck.

WOLF DOG

First thing I would do is take that camper out and go for a drive. You did say you noticed the loss in power right after adding the camper, plus changing to the 395 tires is going to eat some power too. With that said, I too have been wrong many times before. Lol

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an issue where the truck would bog down at highway speed. Felt like lifting the foot off the fuel pedal.
Filters were new.

Turns out, it was the filters. Mild off roading had dislodged gunk from the tank and the new primary filter was clogging.

The high idle you describe is not entirely ok. Maybe air getting into the fuel system, maybe weak hydraulic head?
The truck should idle at 750 happily.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

HN6

First thing I would do is take that camper out and go for a drive. You did say you noticed the loss in power right after adding the camper, plus changing to the 395 tires is going to eat some power too. With that said, I too have been wrong many times before. Lol
Yep. did that long ago.

HN6

Definitely keep it KISS for now. Check both air and fuel filters. Have you ever adjusted your valves? This would be the time. Have you cleaned your injectors. Made sure they properly set and pop off good. Definitely service your IP. Its sound like you have somethings in there sticking. You shouldn't have to set the idle at a 1000rpm for it to stay running. Lube your throttle pedal & linkage up. Check your fuel pressures. Make sure you got lift pressure to filters than check your booster pump when running, etc.. You also got to remember by putting on 395 tires. You just add weight to truck. Plus rotational drag to the truck. Granted we're starting with lower rear gears but you are going from 42" tire to almost 46" tall tire. That like going from 4.10 rear gear to 3.25 rear gear for example. You loss take off power(grunt) but you gain top end speed "if you have the power to do it". Than you add a camper on the back which make it even more less aerodynamic. If all else fails and you have a pyro and boost gauge you could turn it up some. Good luck.
I replaced everything on the truck when I got it from brake lines, filters (Nasty), all shoes, lockers in all axles, full service to everything except valves, IP, injectors.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep. did that long ago.
It could be that over time, some sort of critter has built a dirt nest in the fuel tank vent lines. Easy cheap way to test that is to remove the fuel cap. Maybe wait until you hit a fairly smooth patch of road, pull over and remove the cap and see if the symptoms change.

Last edited:

HN6

I had an issue where the truck would bog down at highway speed. Felt like lifting the foot off the fuel pedal.
Filters were new.

Turns out, it was the filters. Mild off roading had dislodged gunk from the tank and the new primary filter was clogging.

The high idle you describe is not entirely ok. Maybe air getting into the fuel system, maybe weak hydraulic head?
The truck should idle at 750 happily.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
I will do new filters tomorrow if NAPA has any. I don't like the high idle and I actually feel the go faster pedal not returning and I have to pull it up with my foot sometimes. some air bubbles in my clear return lines coming off injectors.

HN6

It could be that over time, some sort of critter has build a dirt nest in the fuel tank vent lines. Easy cheap way to test that is to remove the fuel cap. Maybe wait until you hit a fairly smooth patch of road, pull over and remove the cap and see if the symptoms change.
Hmmm. I will check that out,
I have a few air bubble in my clear return lines coming off the injectors. Everything is tight.

ToddJK

I will do new filters tomorrow if NAPA has any. I don't like the high idle and I actually feel the go faster pedal not returning and I have to pull it up with my foot sometimes. some air bubbles in my clear return lines coming off injectors.
I would change the filters again and see if that helps. Check all your fuel line fittings for any seepage, by chance, any of the fuel lines been replaced and if so, was any sealant applied to the threads?
Out of two deuces I haven't seen air bubbles in the return lines from the injectors so that may be an issue. The IP's do get weaker as they wear in time, but it should be gradual, however weirder things has happened. I don't suspect the tires or the camper being the cause, I don't have those issues with 395's even with 3-5 thousand lbs in the back. I don't think it's a head gasket either, mine leaks just the same and I'm even getting some blowby which isn't good, but no loss of power that I can tell. If all else fails, then I'd look into the IP.

Last edited:

HN6

I would change the filters again and see if that helps. Check all your fuel line fittings for any seepage, by chance, any of the fuel lines been replaced and if so, was any sealant applied to the threads?
Out of two deuces I haven't seen air bubbles in the return lines from the injectors so that may be an issue. The IP's do get weaker as they wear in time, but it should be gradual, however weirder things has happened. I don't suspect the tires or the camper being the cause, I don't have those issues with 395's even with 3-5 thousand lbs in the back. I don't think it's a head gasket either, mine leaks just the same and I'm even getting some blowby which isn't good, but no loss of power that I can tell. If all else fails, then I'd look into the IP.

Will do. Solid advice and much appreciated.

HN6

Replaced battery cables, cleaned grounds and added a new battery for a starting issue no fix. Cleaned brushes on starter. Starts great now. Tightened a fuel line that had a very very small possible fuel wet spot tightened a few other items pulled box off and went for drive. I believe the box really just has that much drag and slows me down. Truck ran great with box off this time. last time I did not seem to notice an improvement. So far seems that the box wind drag is the actually issue.

I did remove my snorkel and and ran w/out it and thought that helped a lot so I took 20'' off and maybe it was starved for some air. That got added around the same time as I notice power loss as well.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Replaced battery cables, cleaned grounds and added a new battery for a starting issue no fix. Cleaned brushes on starter. Starts great now. Tightened a fuel line that had a very very small possible fuel wet spot tightened a few other items pulled box off and went for drive. I believe the box really just has that much drag and slows me down. Truck ran great with box off this time. last time I did not seem to notice an improvement. So far seems that the box wind drag is the actually issue.

I did remove my snorkel and and ran w/out it and thought that helped a lot so I took 20'' off and maybe it was starved for some air. That got added around the same time as I notice power loss as well.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.
One of the things we haven't talked about...

Where are you in Alaska?
What is the altitude where you are driving?
Maybe that has something to do with the problem.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks