• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power loss

jsthnt@gmail.com

As I have stated before, when we brought General Granite home we had all kinds of power. Since then it seems realy slugigish. I have tried several things to get the power back (I will ultimately put a turbo on it). Then the other day I read a post that said when the filters start to get plugged you can get an increase in power.
Has anyone else heard this? And if so could you please explain. It seems backward to me. The tank did have a lot of scale in it. When I changed the filters shortly after we got home, there was an inch or two of sediment in the filters.
Thanks for the info.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plugged filters don't make power, they rob it. Whoever posted that has no clue...FUD.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
good tip to know about clogged filters. Rev it up. No smoke = no fuel. If heavy dense smoke and no power It's prob a bad turbo or a restricted air filter.
Ummm, there might be a few other things to check before jumping to that conclusion.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The "usual suspects" in power loss are fuel filters, restricted fuel line (dent or kink in line), restricted air filter and in some cases brakes dragging.

I switched all my trucks over to spin on primary filters because that is where most of the crud and water are going to hit first.....they have a drain cock on them so you can let out crud before it gets over to the secondaries. All the cannister filters should have a drain on them also...open them up and see what comes out......use a small glass jar to catch the stuff that comes out so you can see what the filters have been catching. You may have to insert a small sharp pointed tool into the opening to get the flow started. Switch on the in tank pump to get fuel to flow.

There have been numerous cases of the fuel lines getting mashed where it runs under the radiator (especially if GL moved the truck with a fork lift). Sometimes the fuel will flow fine until a piece of crud hits the kink....then you get a restriction that keeps building as more crud hits the "dam" created by the kink.

The air filter can cause restriction if it is cruded up or if some critter has built a nest in it (believe me it happens....I evicted a family of mice from a deuce I bought from Arkasas). If I had cranked it the mouse would prob have gotten a tour of the inside of a multi-fuel.

You may just have to use process of elimination untill you find the cause.

Hope this helps.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....The tank did have a lot of scale in it. When I changed the filters shortly after we got home, there was an inch or two of sediment in the filters.
Thanks for the info.
Drain and rinse the fuel tank before anything else if there is any sign of dirt or water in it. The multifuel engine/IP is very sensitive to dirt...
Try to use fuel filters with original micron spec, 40, 5 and 5 for primary, secondary and final respectively.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I will have to check the line that goes under the radiator.
I have drained and cleaned the tank. When I did this I found out that the fuse was blown on the in tank pump. I also found out that the block on the pump was stripped so I had to replace it. I replaced the feul line from the tank. I have changed the filters several times. I have blown out the air filter. I do not seem to have any power gain from using diesel or wmo that I filter to .5 microns.
I do not have a turbo, but I plan on puttting one on.
It is bobbed on 14.00 x 20's.
The person that I bought it from said that he could only go 50 to 55. on the way home we did much faster then that.
One the way home we could go 2500 rpm in fifth and now I go about 1900 to 2000 rpm unless I have a tail wind.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check to make sure the throttle arm didn't slip and you are indeed putting the pump into full throttle.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sometimes just blowing the air filter out doesn't work. My 5ton multi was a DOG till I tried running around the block without an air filter installed. I don't recommend it, but if you double your power by trying it, its time for a new filter. Once I put the new filter in, it made all the difference in the world.

paramedic7831

And If not fuel related. I recall A time I was stumped about a power loss on our excavator. Long story short the air filter got wet at some point and of course running in dusty conditions the dirt would not blow out when I cleaned it. I blew it out until all the dirt came out and still no power and smoked like a train. If a paper air filter gets wet it cakes on and will not clean properly.

I am hard headed and if I would have just ran it without the filter for a sec to see if this would solve the problem, I would have saved hours. So just because dirt is not flying out when you blow it out doesn’t mean it’s clean.

Hope this helps. keep us updated