• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power out

csheath

Storm knocked out the power.

Wife and I went through the start up process and confirmed the draft we created for her.

Plans are to print and laminate start up, load management, and shut down procedures on separate pages.

justacitizen

that is great. my wife can now get any of my equipment going. after just a little practice she now picks up the phone and calls me and says get it going.

Triple Jim

I wrote a procedure for changing to generator power and back to commercial power a few years ago, and my wife and kids practiced it. It was still a little amazing the first time I came home from being out for a couple hours and heard the 003A running. My wife had correctly followed the instructions and the house was powered during the outage, with no assistance from me.

I put the start and stop procedures on the same page, since there's less to lose that way.

csheath

Other than the opportunity to exercise your genset, I hope your power is restored quickly.
This will work out for me. I exercise and test monthly but it's time to rotate the fuel. I make sure to put fresh, treated fuel in before hurricane season. I'm about to refill my storage drums so I need to get all the remaining fuel into my tractors. Filled the small tractor the other day and haven't been running my backhoe lately. They will deliver less than 100 gallons but the price goes up.

csheath

6+ hours and still humming away. Haven't hit 1/2 tank yet. :p :clinto:

Unusual for them to take this long to get it back on. They report fewer than 400 left out on FB so I guess we will be last on the list.

Chainbreaker

Isn't it great when all the prep work for a power outage pays off! Nothing like firing up a diesel genset and returning the household to normal operations in the midst of an area wide power outage.

Least expensive auto-start switchover is: a wife/girlfriend (or any family member) who has a plan and knows the drill of getting it up and running if your away or unable. It really builds their confidence and appreciation for these generators.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad the power stayed on last night. The rain was INSANE.
We got the same storm here in Kentucky the night before last.....and it rained off and on most of yesterday too. Today it's flurrying snow and the temps have dropped almost 40 degrees in 24hrs.

Will be glad to see this winter leave for a while.

dav5

The storm came all the way up to Canada. An inch of freezing rain was forecast in my area but it came in all ice pellets and snow. One degree higher and it would have been really bad. I was secretly wishing for a significant outage to fire up my 803A but I sure didn't tell my wife!! A foot of snow in mid April even in Canada is not normal.

kavesman1

I had to drive through the storm system 2 days ago when it was making its way through Mississippi,Alabama, and Georgia. It was heavy at times, but when i got to the leading edge of it on the Ga/AL line, the winds was unreal. The section i drove through felt like i was driving in a tropical storm.

Then I got parked at the Petro truck stop in Kenly,NC. Then the storm system passed through there last night. Just like in AL, the wind and rain from it was like a tropical storm. Was rocking the tractor fairly bad at the peak of it. The Petro truck stop had one of its A/C systems on the roof blow it's top cover off. And there was a report of a twister in the area.

The funny thing was the truck stop didn't lose power during the storm...but 5 hrs later after it had passed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks