• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power problems with my Deuce

ColinJ

Hey Guys

I hope someone can help diagnose the problem I have with my M35A2C turbo-equipped multi-fuel REO.

When moving up an incline (doesn’t have to be a particularly steep gradient) the truck loses power, so that I slow from my usual 45 mph (up or down) and struggle to maintain 30 mph. As the climb up the incline starts, the turbo whistle increases in pitch and I feel a gentle nudge in my back as the turbo power kicks in, but after just a couple of seconds the turbo wistle pitch decreases and there is a very noticeable decrease in speed and power, with often the turbo increasing and then rapidly decreasing in pitch as though “hunting”. When driving on the flat the turbo whistle/power seems OK, though when changing from 4th to 5th, she does struggle a little getting through/over 1500-1700 rpm.

Last year on the way home from a meet, the bottom end of my exhaust blew out, and I had to limp about 120 miles or so home – would this have damaged the turbo? Otherwise she’s in good shape mechanically, the engine has only 94 hours and 2400 miles on the clocks…….

thanks, Colin

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, check all filters and fuel tank for dirt or anything that will limit the flow when demand is high, even a pinched fuel line....

renovate7

When I pulled my fuel pump out of the tank to inspect I found the screen covered in gunk. I changed the primary fuel filter to the spin on set up. I pulled the two secondary filters and found them covered in gunk. After cleaning/changing the above it starts MUCH easier and seems to have more power. Start with the simple stuff first.

Katch1

for sure start simple, just start at the tank and work your way twords the engine. Eliminate fuel delivery probs first.Never estimate hte need for a good fuel treatment on a vehicle that does'nt get worked hard these engines like to be worked, driving empty will not keep the temps up enough to ensure a good burn, especially in the cool enviornment of the U.K.