• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering bracket

Bobert

wow these pumps must take a lot of stress. Good thing it didn't go through the radiator too.
I need to tighten mine up still.

I ordered mine from the dealer and they got it in the next day. I wish I took pictures, but I had about a pound of grease on each hand the whole time.

As for the joy of owning a cucv, I'm not trying to bash them, and I know they all require different levels of repair. But my 81 c20, has had less problems in 8 years than my cucv had in 7 months.

It's a learning expierience, It's a unique vehicle that turns heads. I like getting thumbs ups from guys in minivans or staring back at the old lady glaring at me in her mercedes.

The perfect example of a plus and minus of owning a cucv:

A guy gave me a friendly honk today (as if to signal "hey thats cool"), but alas, my horn does not work and I am unable to signal my appreciation.

kentuckycucv

Thanks for the advice...I havent started working on it yet but I went out and looked at it in the daylight, of course it is snapped flush with the block.
Good news is I went to the Chevy dealer and ordered the bracket and it cost $22 Bucks... I should get it tomorrow.
Thanks...

JohnFire

I use an siren box and use the air horn function off of that. I know I am having problems cause the contact plate on the steering wheel is rusting, so that might be a place to check

kentuckycucv

I just remembered something... I think the pivot bolt wasn't a bolt??? I think it was a stud out of the block with a nut attached. Is that correct? and can I back what is left of the stud out and put in a bolt??? or do I have to drill and tap new threads???
I hope I'm not in over my head.

kentuckycucv

I took it apart and relized the stud was sheered off flush with the next bracket in, (altenator bracket) I took that off and the stud has a nut in the center and IO was able to remove it without drilling. So I went to the local Ace hardware and bought a 10mm stud and nut and it was an easy fix. Thanks for all the help.

Crash_AF

Just a quick note here on pulley removal, never use a 3 jaw puller to try to remove a pulley from a PS pump. It has a flange that a special tool fits in to pull it. Either take it to a shop and have them remove it or rent/purchase the proper puller tool for the job (Autozone here has the tool in their free tool rental line.)

Later,
Joe

bigredlab

I came across this thread while searching for how to fix my power steering pump bracket.

I read through the -20 and step 8-15.1.4 says "remove power steering pulley".

I have never made this type of repair before. Can someone explain in detail how to remove the pulley and what tools are needed? (pictures would be helpful)

Also, does anyone have the chevy part number for the bracket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
JFB

Westech

CPL
You need to rent or buy a PS pulley puller. you need this to remove the pulley, there a press fit and if you try to use a gear puller or hob job it off your going to brake it for sure. The best thing you can do if you own a CUCV is buy a Chilton Repair book for a mid 80 blazer/pick up. 99.9% of the civy stuff is the same for the CUCV.

bigredlab

I found the Performance Tool (W87022) GM power steering pulley puller/installer tool at ebay and a couple of other places. Is this all that is necessary to do the job? Do these mount in some other type of tool?

bigredlab

Thanks to this thread and Harbor Freight Tools :twisted:, I was able to get my M1009 running in tip top shape again.

Turns out that the power steering bracket was broken in two places (looks like one of them had been fixed before).

I ended up buying a bracket from the Local Chevy Dealership for about $40. I also had to buy 2 of the harbor freight pulley puller sets because I broke the first one (so now I have a pulley removal set and a pulley installer set).

All in all it took about 3 hours (including the trip to get the second tool set from Harbor Freight) and I didn't even have to disconnect the hoses!!

Thanks again for all who helped!!

kentuckycucv

I had the power steering bracket part number from you guys and the part at the dealer was less than 20 bucks..... My problem today is 6 months later my bolts are loose again...and I used lock tight. Hmmmm maybe I will try super glue.

kentuckycucv

**** it! One of my bolts that hold the pump to the bracket backed out and my year??? old bracket is cracked in half.....looks like I get to fix something twice, again.

Last edited:

kentuckycucv

Weld it or buy a new one???? New one is going to take a few days.... They have to order it, The last time mine came from the warehouse and had dust on it.... The dealer said a company bought all the old stock and its going to be $30 plus shipping. Maybe i can find a friend with a welder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks