• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering Failed

obxairman

My power steering stopped working . Found the system nearly empty on fluid. Added fluid and still no power steering. I did find the leak at a fitting on my steering box so i will need to replace this line. What must i do to restore my steering until I replace the line ?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, start by replacing the defective line. Then service the p/s pump. Take the truck for a slow drive the work out the air in the system. Do not over service the pump resivor.

obxairman

1990 Harsco M923A2 . I did take it for a drive after I refilled it and no better. I may have used the wrong fluid. I bought power steering fluid. I wonder if this to thin . I am learning to read these technical manuals here so I am gonna check that next. The leak is a slow drip and I will fix it but id like to be sure there are no other issues before I take the hose off and replace it

dikwks

You might need to pull a vacuum on the system to get all of the air out of it. Couldn't get mine to work worth spit. Was humming and jerky in the assist. Hooked a vacuum pump up to it and Voila! All is well. Did take another quart of fluid though.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the system was dry, you should jack up the front axle and cycle the steering a few times, then check to see if you need to add more fluid.

Scrounger

A little more on what gimpyrobb has posted on a system that may have air in it. One must lift the front axle so that the front tires are free to move. With the engine running turn the steering wheel fully to one side, it has to be at the end of its travel. Hold it there for a few seconds then turn the wheel fully to the other side and repeat. The only way to bleed the air out is at the end of the travel. It may take several cycles back and forth to clear the lines of air. Afterwards check the fluid level in the pump and it should be fine.

Last edited:

Scrounger

And a happy New Year to you. I’ve been around, just haven’t been posting much. I think you already know who I work for and it gets a “little” busy this time of year. I went through the logs and did the math and now have over 3 million miles as of the middle of last month.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks