• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering fluid capacity

Finnegan1008

I don't see any mention of capacity in the TM, only that Dextron should be used in the power steering system. I hate having left over jugs of fluid laying around, does anyone know how much fluid this system takes?

Also I will be installing a new pump this coming weekend. Other than the info outlined in the TM are there any landmines I should look out for?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see any mention of capacity in the TM, only that Dextron should be used in the power steering system. I hate having left over jugs of fluid laying around, does anyone know how much fluid this system takes?

Also I will be installing a new pump this coming weekend. Other than the info outlined in the TM are there any landmines I should look out for?
A new pump will take about a quart plus a little depending on if you replace all the lines too. It doesn't hold much. As far as tough issues it depends on how you are buying your pump...with or without the res...You'll need a puller for the pulley to swap over too. Once you get the new one in, jack the front off the ground just a touch before you start it...I like to turn the wheel without it running just to get some fluid moving so don't fill it up to much...then start it a few times short and check the fluid level then start it and turn the wheel slow both ways then shut it off....you don't want to get air on the oil.

cucvrus

I always use power steering fluid in the ps pump. GM had GM ps fluid in it from new. Roping it with ATF is ok. But I would top it with PS fluid. And burn the leftover stuf in the fuel would work. Not sure I would do that to a good running vehicle just on basics.

Finnegan1008

I always use power steering fluid in the ps pump. GM had GM ps fluid in it from new. Roping it with ATF is ok. But I would top it with PS fluid. And burn the leftover stuf in the fuel would work. Not sure I would do that to a good running vehicle just on basics.
Unless I’m mistaken (which has been known to happen) The TM calls for Dexton II which is/ was trans fluid. Dexton VI is now available and can be mixed or used in its place.

I see GM also has what is branded as “power steering fluid” is this different stuff?

should I use dextron or power steering fluid? Or would either one work?

vanaisa

I might be wrong (sure i am), but GM power steering fluid come with newer cars. My ´90 Eldorado requested that, not sure about older cars.

"Power steering fluid" is hydraulic oil, less or different additives, than Dextron.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a '69 C10 once upon a time that I didn't have the time or tools to fix the leak between the pump and the reservoir, so I used a local transmission rebuilder's throwaway ATF in the system for a good year. It was fine. I don't think it's as picky as all that. "Power steering fluid" is a lot thicker than ATF IIRC. I'd just put whatever Dexron in it that you can find. Probably VI. Dexron, not Dextron. I only nitpick that because it's only a few letters away from Dexcool, which is a whole other can of worms.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I recommend power steering fluid. It is different from Dextron. Read up on the differences and decide, there is a reason it is called power steering fluid.

I would dump all the fluid in the system as you do not know what is in there and do not want to have contaminated fluid in the system after replacing with a new pump. I would replace the low pressure hose also, couple dollars and is probably been degraded anyway. And the o ring can be tricky replacing on the high pressure hose to pump inlet, I use a little lithium grease to wipe it with.

I would also check the power steering bracket for cracks.

Finnegan1008

I recommend power steering fluid. It is different from Dextron. Read up on the differences and decide, there is a reason it is called power steering fluid.

I would dump all the fluid in the system as you do not know what is in there and do not want to have contaminated fluid in the system after replacing with a new pump. I would replace the low pressure hose also, couple dollars and is probably been degraded anyway. And the o ring can be tricky replacing on the high pressure hose to pump inlet, I use a little lithium grease to wipe it with.

I would also check the power steering bracket for cracks.
I wonder if the Technical Manual specified ATF so the military would have one less fluid to deal with or if that’s what GM recommended for all K series trucks

cucvmule

collector of stuff
This topic has been discussed in the past many times. And your most likely right, 1 less oil to distribute in the system.

I am curious what was put in the factory.

cucvrus

I worked at a GM dealer when these CUCV's were introduced and went to GM school for these and all GM vehicles during this era. 1697275378778.png It came in a Mr Goodwrench quart can back in the day. It is the only fluid I put in or add to my CUCV power steering pump. Because it is not an Automatic Transmission so why would I add ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid. Maybe because I can fire .38 specials thru a .357 Magnum but can't fire .357 magnums thru a .38 special. Have a Great Day. Don't try and figure everything out, just use common sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks