• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering fluid for 800 series

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LO calls for HDO/OE 10 in the power steering pump. Can't find this readily available. What is its closest equivalent? Thanks in advance.

998Junkie

Hydraulic fluid or ATF, I used ATF since I drained and replaced the hoses and it was what I could find. ATF is more flamable than Hydraulic.

Keep it under the full line or you'll have fluid through the breather.

CGarbee

My local Agri-Supply stocks 10wt in several different size containers, so that's what I run in mine althoguh I did toss a quart of 5w30 into the XM813 once on a trip when it got low and I didn't have any 10wt to top it off...

Hard to tell by color what is in the system. ATF and LE are both red/cherry in color...

rmgill

I put Hydraulic Fluid in "mine" after doing a piston seal rebuild. (belongs to a friend but I'm babysitting it while he's in Europe for a few years)

rlwm211

I prefer Hydraulic oil or at least a non Automatic transmission oil for an application such as this. ATF has friction enhancers and is not as good a lubricant as the hydraulic oil is. The increase in the friction enhancers is why the Automakers all went to Power Steering Fluid 20 years ago.

Just my two cents
RL

Armada

Any problems with running the regular stuff from Napa or Wal Mart, thats all I have seen people use near me. My PS fluid is cherry color.
I lost a PS return line and most all of the fluid while on the road one time and 10wt wasn't available to put back in. After a roadside hose replacement I went with a couple jugs of Napa PS fluid to get me home with the intention of replacing it with the 10 wt. That was 3 years ago I have not had any problems. Seems to work fine.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
800 series - I couldn't find 10W today so I used a little straight 20W to top it off as the glass was empty. Hopefully that isn't a mistake. Since the truck has to warm up, that ought to give the oil time to warm up as well. The sight glass there shows hot and cold. The reservoir is smaller than it looks. Before I knew it I overfilled to the hot line, so I guess I better remove some or it is going to spew.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/7606-oil-power-steering.html

for M54: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/39685-power-steering-fluid-m54a2.html

Hammer

Personally, I LIKE the red color of ATF.
Easy to spot a power steering leak and not think it is the engine oil leaking.