• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering gear slow leak - seals?

Aernan

I noticed I am getting a leak from the power steering gear that pushes the pitman arm out of the passengers side where the plastic mud garde is. Looking in the TM I see this is a complete unit and no tear down information in the TM.

Has anyone torn one of these down? Are the seals replaceable?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you check the parts TM? There are exploded views of pretty much everything on the truck in there.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer. Is it perhaps a commercial off the shelf unit, that may have instructions in the civilian world somewhere?

wandering neurons

Based on my troubles last year, the steering box, while made by ZF, does not cross-reference their commercial products. And I wasn't able to find a tear-down in the TMs either. I wound up replacing the entire box with a unit from SuprMan. You might be able to remove the box, pitman arm, and pull the seal and find a replacement but it'd be tedious.
Removing the box can be done without removing the radiator but you have to be very imaginative with sockets and wrenches, and the box is very heavy. There's a posting I made about the removal/install of my steering box.

Aernan

The leak right now is very slow. I will clean up the leaky spot and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip with SuprMan I'll give him a call to see the replacement cost.

coachgeo

The leak right now is very slow. I will clean up the leaky spot and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip with SuprMan I'll give him a call to see the replacement cost.
Well if your going to have to replace it in future... might try some power steering stop leak from Lucas Oil. Granted several companies make and sell it.

In between maybe put picture of yours in your phone... and crawl under trucks in parking lots occasionally to see what might be a close match???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks