• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering issue on a gas converted m1028.

alex33072

I put an SBC 350 in an m1028 and the power steering will not kick in until I rev up the engine. I'm wondering if I need to put a smaller pulley on the power steering pump or what might be the issue. I put a rebuild kit in the pump before I installed it. My thought is that it may be turning too slow for the vanes to kick in or is there possibly a blockage somewhere? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Fluid is all new, belt is tight.

Jeepadict

Perhaps there may be air trapped in the system. I would try to cycle the steering from lock to lock with the axle on jackstands.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

alex33072

I put an SBC 350 in an m1028 and the power steering will not kick in until I rev up the engine. I'm wondering if I need to put a smaller pulley on the power steering pump or what might be the issue. I put a rebuild kit in the pump before I installed it. My thought is that it may be turning too slow for the vanes to kick in or is there possibly a blockage somewhere? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Fluid is all new, belt is tight.
I just noticed I should be using dexron to in the pump. I had O'Reilly's power steering fluid in there. Will that make a difference?

alex33072

Problem solved. When I rebuilt the PS pump at engine install, the pump kit purchased was for a gas pickup. Got the correct diesel kit and all is now good. Thank you all for your suggestions and help.