• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering issues

Tony Trak

Power steering problem. Power assist is sometimes intermittent on right turn only. So… Pitman arm bearing was bad. Not too bad, but bad. I replaced it. Checked everything else and it looked good. While truck was jacked up, I grabbed the tire and could turn the tires pin to pin with no binding or restriction. Went out for a test drive. No problems for the first 5 minutes. Then it started again. Loss of power steering only while making right turns. No binding, just loss of power assist. If I turn wheel to left a little then back to the right it seems to get power back. Don’t know how power steering works, but is there a spool valve of some kind that could be binding? Only right turns. Truck is a 1992 M998. 6.5NA. Steering was fine for 2 years with aftermarket tires and wheels.

Last edited:

Action

What is this in, your VW? Telling us what model HMMWV is a good start.
What is a “pitman rod”? I could only find something about a sewing machine or big machinery.
Sector shafts have an upper and lower bearing.
My guess is just that you need to bleed the air out of the system.

Action

And, you forgot to mention that you have aftermarket wheels / tires that stick out a couple inches past the body. Possibly putting strain on things.

Tony Trak

What is this in, your VW? Telling us what model HMMWV is a good start.
What is a “pitman rod”? I could only find something about a sewing machine or big machinery.
Sector shafts have an upper and lower bearing.
My guess is just that you need to bleed the air out of the system.
Fixed the original post with truck info. If it was air in the system, wouldn’t the problem be intermittent in both directions? This is only in right turns.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it had been working fine and you did not run it out of fluid then it is probably a bad steering gear (box) that is the only component that could work in one direction and not the other.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think he is talking about the idler not the pitman, just my guess as you cannot change that bearing by simply jacking the truck up.
It sounds like maybe some trash in the steering gear valve

Tony Trak

First, thanks for all the help. It did not run out of fluid. I replaced the whole pitman arm with bearing. I did not take the gearbox apart. Is the gearbox an easy swap? Is it repairable?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not a bearing, it is a ball joint, the pitman shaft in the steering gear has a bearing, not too much work to change, maybe a 3-4 out of 10
Yes they can be repaired IF you can find someone qualified, otherwise see if you can find a NOS unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks