• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Leaks

Sarge29

I just went through the power steering on my 998 and found a couple leaks. One leak was the seal on the input shaft on the steering gearbox and the other was the pump. I pulled the gearbox off and cleaned it before tear down. I pulled the top lock nut off and removed the packing gland. Then I went to the local NAPA store and picked up a replacement seal and a power steering kit NAPA number 7-262. I pulled out my O ring kit and found the correct right size O rings. I put everything in and reassembled the gearbox. After putting the gearbox back in I pulled the power steering pump. Again cleaned everything, installed the seal kit and put the pump back on. This process took a little over 1/2 day. Now the moment of truth. I followed the TM on bleeding the system. After running the truck for a few minutes I shut it down to look for leaks. No leaks. The next step was a test drive. After a 10 mile run everything was good. Parked it in the shop for the night to see if any leaks show up on the concrete. The next morning, still no leaksfat lady sings. Now I have all of the mechanical and electrical issues resolved I plan on stripping it down to prep it for paint. Still need a few parts but I think I will find them before I get the painting done.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I remember when I had leaky power steering. For a brief while before I worked out the kinks, I got pretty good at pulling over n the side of the road, fixing another leak that showed up, rebleeding the system, then continuing on my way. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks