• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Pump Bolt Size?

renovate7

Noticed my power steering pump vibrating badly. Found only one loose bolt holding it to it's bracket. The second bolt was sheared off and there was no bolt in the third hole. Bottom bracket was also very loose. Yikes!... All the bolts that hold the pump in and it's bracket to the engine are metric. What size is the bolt that is used to pull the pulley on the shaft? An M10-1.25 or 1.5 won't go in. An M8 is too small. I tried a 3/8 course and it threads all the way in with very little wiggle once you get it in 4 threads or so. Any help appreciated before I screw up my new-reman pump.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were in your shoes, I would look at the -20P TM. Then google the part numbers. With that done, you should be able to go buy the correct bolts locally.

renovate7

I've looked at the 34P. It shows, and I have, all the bolts except the bolt used to install the pulley. This bolt isn't attached to the pump, just used to push the pulley onto the shaft. The -20 just says "Install power steering pump pulley". When I used to sell car parts, back in the last Century, they included the bolt and washer. This pump came from NAPA, no bolt included.

renovate7

Thought I'd report I put the new/reman pump on. All the bolts that hold it to the brackets and engine are metric. The bolt to install the pulley is SAE. I found it easiest to disconnect both positive battery cables and remove Gen 1 to get at the pump. I left the electrical wires connected to it and just moved it on top of the valve cover to get it out of the way. Also found you can use a long thin screw driver thru the round holes on top of the alternator brackets to get a pry point to tighten the belts.

Bobert

Updating for future reference.

The bolt size it in the -20p, Part number 11505299 Size M10x1.5x30mm. They hold the pump to the bracket. Mine shook out too.

M1008BOV

I was under mine the other night because I heard a noise that shouldn't be there. Sure enough, one of the bolts behind the PS pump pulley is backing out and making contact with the pulley. Taking it apart tonight or tomorrow and will definitely be putting some blue loctite on them.

M1008BOV

My new tools showed up today (less than 24hr shipping!) I have to say I've always been a fan of Lisle tools, but this kit is the cat's meow! Made pulling that pulley super simple and should be just as simple to put back on. Waiting on new belts and hoses to show up tomorrow from Rock Auto before I button it back up. IMG_20150519_192121877.jpgIMG_20150519_192103218.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks