• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump leak - reseal or new pump?

blutow

I've got a power steering pump that has a slow leak. I'm pretty sure it's leaking at the shaft. Power steering works fine, so I'd rather not do a new pump if possible. Is there a DIY process to put a new shaft seal in? It's one of the later style pumps on and m1123 where the reservoir is separate. I did some searching and found the shaft seal for the old style pump and seal kits for the steering box, but nothing for this style. If there is a rebuild process (and parts diagram) documented in a TM, sould someone point me to where to look?

1647617563647.png

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the power steering unit the nose actually stretches and deforms. When you rebuild you need to press in steel and then machine it to make up the difference.

On the pump, also probably simpler to just replace.

Best to just replace with NEW as rebuild might not fix.

blutow

On the power steering unit the nose actually stretches and deforms. When you rebuild you need to press in steel and then machine it to make up the difference.

On the pump, also probably simpler to just replace.

Best to just replace with NEW as rebuild might not fix.
Well that sounds crappy. It looks like a cast iron housing, I'm surprised it can be deformed from pressing a seal/bearing or maybe I'm still not understanding the issue.

I'll probably just put it off for now since it's more of a seeping (no dripping yet). I'm still inclined to try to replace the seal before trashing the pump if it's not that hard/expensive. I believe it's basically an unused pump since it looks like it was replace during the 2009 refresh and the truck has just been sitting since then. I've seen some "questionable" replacement pumps on ebay and seco for a little over $200, but it looks like these go for 400-500+ new from legit OEM sources.

Action

Both have the same part number? That's the part number off my current pump, is there some other identifier/revision number I need?
I see 2 part numbers in the parts TM...
6500522.....serial numbers 246890 and up
12469485.....serial numbers 196901 to 246889

blutow

I see 2 part numbers in the parts TM...
6500522.....serial numbers 246890 and up
12469485.....serial numbers 196901 to 246889
Mine is a 192xxx truck, but I assume it recieved some of the 196+ upgrades when it was refreshed in 09. It has the later belt routing that I don't think was original to that truck. I think it might have also had the old style pump with the reservoir on it orginally, but not sure. The part number I gave is straight off the current pump, so I'm pretty sure it's correct unless they put the wrong pump on in 2009. I found a few dumb things they did during the rebuild, so it's not out of the question I guess.

blutow

Only REV uses 120 BAR pump for shepherd steering gear
Thanks. Any thoughts/experience on resealing a pump that is working well? Exercise in futility or worth a shot? Also - one strange thing is that the leak isn't constant. Some days it will be bone dry and others it almost forms a drip (more than just seeping). I have not seen it actually leave a drip yet, but I assume it's not going to magically fix itself. I won't mess with it until it starts dripping, but I assume that's just a matter of time.

springer1981

Thanks. Any thoughts/experience on resealing a pump that is working well? Exercise in futility or worth a shot? Also - one strange thing is that the leak isn't constant. Some days it will be bone dry and others it almost forms a drip (more than just seeping). I have not seen it actually leave a drip yet, but I assume it's not going to magically fix itself. I won't mess with it until it starts dripping, but I assume that's just a matter of time.
After a little digging I could not find a rebuild kit for that unit. I did find remanufactured pumps but not the kit. I'm sure it is nothing special, bearing seals etc but you would probably have to source them individually unless someone else knows of a kit part number. I did find the pump in the TM's but no kit mentioned so they probably just replaced them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks