• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump leaks at the rtn hose on the pump

xmiltm998

I have a 1985 HMMWV and the return hose keeps cracking and leaking at the pump. The hose is just secured with a simple hose clamp, I have replaced the hose and use new hose clamps. I am using ATF for power steering fluid, it seems the hose gets brittle and then leaks. I've cut the end of the hose off reclamped it, bought new hose so on and so on.

This hose comes from the hydroboost, could the hydroboost be bad that it is sending to much pressure through that hose? I dont have a problem with my brakes or steering.

Could it be the atf fluid? should i switch to powersteering fluid? I know the hose is the correct type, I know the hose clamp is on the right way blah blah blah

Is there an upgrade to this whole system? it seems kinda "light" for the vehicle and its use. I have gone through 3 P.S. pumps in about 7 years. i offroad my HMMVW and use it for what it was made for but I'm very frustrated with the power steering system, can anyone help please.

TedG

Is this the setup you have?

If so, then the hose is a special type hose. I do not have the GM part number handy but it should be rated for that application. Heat is another hose killer.

The only upgrade is the remote reservoir serpentine setup. This requires a lot of new components, including water pump, wp plate, serp pullies and more brackets.

Attachments

TedG

Here is the black hose with number printed on it. I never had one fail.

The blue hoses are high pressure and should be changed if chaffed.

If you do not have the PS cooler, get one!

Attachments

dilvoy

I recently installed the return hoses on my humvee. I had saved the original hoses to the vehicle and found that they are still making the exact same hose. The size is 3/8" 9.5mm which you probably already know, but the spec is J189. It is made by Goodyear. It has two layers of nylon webbing and has a 1000 psi burst rating or something like that. I was able to buy a box of 25' of it from a seller Amazon for about $25. I guess there are stronger hoses, but too stiff may be a problem too. They installed quite a few P clamps to hold those return hoses so they would not move around so maybe make shure that the hoses are held very firmly until they are higher than the alternator.

Last edited:

xmiltm998

Thank you both for the help and the pics. I will be around my hmmwv this weekend and I will use your info and check it out. I think I have a cooler that is split in half, one half is the the trans cooler and the other half is for the P.S.P. I will look into and I agree it needs to be cooled.

You might be on to something dilvoy, I might need to add more clamps to keep the hose from vibrating so much. I am not having a problem with the hose bursting.

Are you guys using ATF or power steering fluid? I have read to use P.S. fliud instead of ATF but I cant remember why exactly though

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use good ol' Dexron III in the PS system. I have the stock in-line cooler on my truck and it does a good job. The biggest problem I had was a bad accumulator in the hydro-boost. It would puke a quart or two of ATF on the ground every time I shut it down. A new booster unit fixed that problem.

areebkh95

hate to bring back a dead thread but im having an continuous issue with my return line that goes from the Cadillac valve to the p.s. cooler.....

i have changed the hose about 9 times now due to the brand new hoses popping off or bursting through... the issue usually happens when the fan kicks on so im thinking the Cadillac valve is bad maybe..

Action

hate to bring back a dead thread but im having an continuous issue with my return line that goes from the Cadillac valve to the p.s. cooler.....

i have changed the hose about 9 times now due to the brand new hoses popping off or bursting through... the issue usually happens when the fan kicks on so im thinking the Cadillac valve is bad maybe..
Do you have that cooler return hose hooked to the rear side of the Cadillac valve? nearest the windshield?