• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump noise

cjd

Just making sure this is normal...The power steering makes a hissing sound all the time, until the steering hits the limit stop, then it changes tone, but still rather loud. It's funny that, in such a loud vehicle, the power steering is loud enough to hear over the diesel.

Hummer Guy

Just making sure this is normal...The power steering makes a hissing sound all the time, until the steering hits the limit stop, then it changes tone, but still rather loud. It's funny that, in such a loud vehicle, the power steering is loud enough to hear over the diesel.
I can slightly hear mines, its not crazily loud but I can still somewhat hear it

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be hearing the Cadillac valve, should change when the fan cycles.
What pump do you have, vain or gear rotor, the reason they put vain pumps on virtually all passenger vehicles is because gear rotor pumps make noise.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hissing power steering could be air in the system.

If it's the old style with the reservoir attached to the pump and not on top of the engine, they can be a pain to get all the air bled out.

When I replaced mine, I filled the reservoir completely to the top, rather than just to the "full" mark. Until I did that, nothing I did got the air bled from the system.
It does make a bit of a mess as you turn the wheels back and forth, because when the air bubbles come out of the system they can cause the reservoir to overflow onto the ground (I left my cap off during this bleeding procedure to keep fluid from going into the vent lines)
I had to fill to overflow twice before the air got out of the system and everything quieted down.

Other option is as Mogman stated above, the cadillac valve making the noise.
If something is wrong with the system, the fan can stay engaged 100% of the time.
The fan clutch is operated by the power steering system, so it would change sounds when hitting the stops at max turn.

Testing is simple. Open the hood and with the engine a bit above idle (1500 rpms) disconnect the electrical plug to the cadillac valve.
If it's working properly, the fan will engage and move a lot of air. If it's not working right, then nothing will change.

diesel_dave

Mine is weird. Sometimes it hisses loudly and sometimes the hissing just stops and it's totally quiet for a few minutes. It does not correlate with the activation of the cooling fan either. Everything seems to work fine when it's hissing or not hissing. No idea why it's that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks