• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering sounds

blzrgb

I researched old threads and all but came up short. My 85 cucv has very good power steering although when you turn the steering wheel you'll hear the sound of fluid under pressure. It's not a squeeling sound at all. More like a hissing sound. My other cucv does not do this at all. Any idea what it could be or what it is about to tear up. We trail ride with them regular and would like to prevent a breakage on the trail. Thanks for any help. also, the fluid level is fine and has been changed.

Last edited:

Ken_86gt

Well, its either the pump or the steering box. Have someone turn the wheel turn to turn while you listen with the hood up and identify where the sound is coming from. Since it is working fine you don't "Need" to do anything right now. But for peace of mind you replace to offending piece.

Also check your fluid to make sure that it is clean and not "frothing", you may want to flush it first. Who knows, a previous person may have put motor oil into the steering system- seen this before.