• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering to manual

soldierman79

My power steering box on my M1009 has developed a leak around the steering shaft. I already bought the seal and will most probably fix it soon.

But,

If I were to convert it to manual steering it would eliminate the power steering pump drawing down on the engine (yes, I realize it is a miniscule amount). I am familiar with driving vehicles with manual steering. It seems that's all I owned growing up. :driver:

Besides a manual steering box, what else is required for the conversion?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue is that the power steering pump also supplies power to the brakes. You will still need the pump.

Diesel engines do not produce a vacuum like a gasser engine. So they use the hydrostat brake assist instead of the vacuum assist.

soldierman79

The issue is that the power steering pump also supplies power to the brakes. You will still need the pump.

Diesel engines do not produce a vacuum like a gasser engine. So they use the hydrostat brake assist instead of the vacuum assist.
Ah, I see. Didn't realize that.

Welp, looks like i'm fixin the stock power steering then! :mrgreen:

Thanks Warthog you're the man!

Barrman

Another problem is the truck was set up for power steering. Caster angles used to be changed between non power and power steering vehicles. The K5 had only power as your choice. Putting a non power box in there would make it very, very hard to steer at slow speeds. I just searched and could not find a manual gear box for any Chevy truck 1973 or newer that was a 4x4. 2wd, yes but not 4x4. It was never designed to have manual steering.

Joe already pointed out the brake booster issue too.

The best way to describe the caster difference between a power steering and manual vehicle is with a bike. Low rider bikes with the super long forks have gobs of positive caster, are super stable at just about any speed but require effort to turn at slow speeds.

Bikes built for off road have very little forward rake of the forks in front of the pivot point at the frame. Just a few degree's of caster in other words. They aren't as stable at high speeds, but they are super quick to steer and easy to steer at lower speeds.

Just for fun, get a neighborhood kid you don't like to turn his front forks around so the wheel is behind the pivot point of the frame. Then, ride his bike. That is negative caster and is it very, very unstable. Just thinking about turning the handle bars with have them moving too much.

Manual steering cars and trucks had either 0° caster or negative caster so the effort was little.

Sorry for the lecture. I just wanted to throw some fact behind the above post telling you it is a bad idea.

Skinny

Lowering caster on a truck with big tires may make it steer easier, good luck with wander and bumpsteer. That will get ugly fast...

This is crazy, going to the gym is an easier way to build your biceps. Removing power steering is not a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks