• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering

weirdman

Ok, I have read a bunch of forums on power steering for a deuce. What I'm wondering is what the best power steering gear would be while still being able to go in the frame. I don't like the look of the Waterloo kit and and I don't like the idea of cutting up a fender. I've also read that those kinds of kits have tire rub.

I've read that the hf54 steering gear is good but are there any others like it or smaller? Are there any air powered steering gear? If we do do something like the hf54, we are planning on using a pump from a 5 ton.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I have read a bunch of forums on power steering for a deuce. What I'm wondering is what the best power steering gear would be while still being able to go in the frame. I don't like the look of the Waterloo kit and and I don't like the idea of cutting up a fender. I've also read that those kinds of kits have tire rub.

I've read that the hf54 steering gear is good but are there any others like it or smaller? Are there any air powered steering gear? If we do do something like the hf54, we are planning on using a pump from a 5 ton.
What about Arm Strong steering?

ArmStrong Power Steering.png

Really, those trucks aren't awful to turn in their factory configuration. Thinking ahead, turning the wheel while the truck is rolling. Proper tire pressure helps too. If you need to do a three point turn - do it all while the truck is rolling.

The other part that needs consideration is that even WITH power steering you shouldn't crank the wheel all the way one direction ("to the lock") with the truck sitting still. Doing that is hard on the parts...

I don't believe there are "new manufacturer" parts for Deuce power steering parts these days...

weirdman

View attachment 892939

Really, those trucks aren't awful to turn in their factory configuration. Thinking ahead, turning the wheel while the truck is rolling. Proper tire pressure helps too. If you need to do a three point turn - do it all while the truck is rolling.

The other part that needs consideration is that even WITH power steering you shouldn't crank the wheel all the way one direction ("to the lock") with the truck sitting still. Doing that is hard on the parts...

I don't believe there are "new manufacturer" parts for Deuce power steering parts these days...
I hear you, we are just planning on taking her offroading with 395s in the future and want something that wont kill us in 5 minutes.

KN6KXR

Your constraints (inside frame, no cutting of fender) are limiting you to the air assist like the M35A3. If you want 5 ton power steering you're going to have to set up like a 5 ton. That means box on the outside of the frame rail, perch plate, drag link, etc.... To adapt to a M35 you'll have to cut the fender. Not sure why cutting the fender is an issue all the 5 tons are in the fender well and it can be trimmed for the shaft pretty close. You'll have to get offset rims to clear. Even with stock NDT's but especially with 395's. Not sure of all the rims that clear I have customs.

I have this setup on my truck. Actually I don't have an M35A2; I have an XM381A2 which we call a "bobbed deuce". My power steering, rims and tires I got through Boyce. The power steering pump is borrowed from a 5-ton (from what I can tell it's a "hydra power" very similar looking). I have ARB air lockers in both axles and can't even imagine trying to steer without power steering. Even with the grafted 5 ton power steering it can be a handful locked in. Cheap? Hell no. Pricey bit of kit. Worth it? Well I don't worry about it..... So yeah.

HDN

View attachment 892939

I've driven a halftrack just fine without power steering 💪 All the things you said are true.

I can see it being a benefit for off-roading, though, and I share my experiences with my trucks pretty much on flat, solid ground at all times. If it were me, I'd consider rigging up a hydraulic power steering unit of some kind with a remote electric hydraulic pump.

weirdman

I've driven a halftrack just fine without power steering 💪 All the things you said are true.

I can see it being a benefit for off-roading, though, and I share my experiences with my trucks pretty much on flat, solid ground at all times. If it were me, I'd consider rigging up a hydraulic power steering unit of some kind with a remote electric hydraulic pump.
That does make more sense to use an electric one. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to find than a used take off. Thank you!

HDN

That does make more sense to use an electric one. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to find than a used take off. Thank you!
Another benefit to installing an electric hydraulic pump would be if you ever wanted make your truck have a modern dual-circuit power brake system using a GM hydroboost cylinder. I've never tried this myself nor designed anything yet but I'd give it a shot. It makes an older non-air brake 5-ton more attractive knowing that something like this may be possible.

weirdman

Another benefit to installing an electric hydraulic pump would be if you ever wanted make your truck have a modern dual-circuit power brake system using a GM hydroboost cylinder. I've never tried this myself nor designed anything yet but I'd give it a shot. It makes an older non-air brake 5-ton more attractive knowing that something like this may be possible.
We are going through the brake lines and wheel cylinders so I'm not too worried about dual circuit brakes yet but it is something that we have been considering. Thank y'all for your help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks