• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering

1992TWINZ

Was reviewing an old thread from gringeltaube from urguay about steering and ordered a new hf-54 box for the conversion on mine. He has used a power steering pump from a 5 ton multifuel. This is a vickers unit does anyone have any info on these and will they bolt into the existing front cover on the m35 multi engine. Also need the pump if this is so . What years were the 5 ton multifuels produced with power stering.

1992TWINZ

Baxter off of ebay rebuilt hf54053 ross item # 300180318217
ebay member truckparts2u
price was 100.00 with shipping great deal mail him see if he has any more he is dropping his inventory. Keep me posted . Are you doing a power steering on yours.

oddnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hf-54

Hi

The HF54 with casting hf54053, you may have a problem to mont, I have get good info from gringeltaube, and done some on my one.

At the moment I working with my project and using the HF54, casting hf542998, and what I find is that the power steering HF54 with casting xxxx96 and xxxx98 is easy to use.

Gringeltaube say some about the pitman arm's length, I have found out with some help that a long arm gets a fast steering, shorter slower steering.

But the angel have to be 90 deg. may some adjust to, camber, caster.

And the HF 54 is exact good to use if you calculate the power you need to steer the truck, out from the data on the front axle and weight on the truck.

I also do some other things on connecting the box with the steering colum.
a bit easy

( have not mail Gringeltaube on this yet :roll: )

The pump is still in use, the problem is the adapter so adapt the pump to the engine.

So all 5 tonner multifuel pumps take care of them. ore only the adapter.

I get my HF from Doug Jones Metro airport truck (dougjones@matruck.com)
he is most helpful

But my problem is to find me some pitman arm's

So any so now give me a hint.

Come back with more later, when I get done more...

Odd

There is other ways to do this, using other PS... also

baxter

1992TWINZ I looked at that pump on ebay thank you. Now oddnor brings up another question how many diffrent casings are there and wich ones are the right ones any more info on this would be great thanks for all the help. And yes I am going to do the conversion on my deuce so I will be asking lots of questions I will be getting the parts together over the winter and starting in the spring.

vaughn

oddnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hf54

Hi

There is as I now around 5 type of casting, casting xxxx96 and xxxx98 is the best one's
Look fore the HF542996 ore HF542998 with 3 ore 4 hole bolt
with 2 hose , they with 4 hose, you have to blend.

Odd

baxter

Odd a couple questions what do you meen with 4 hoses you need to blend . you also mentioned you did something easier to connect the box to the column any info and pics would be great .

vaughn

1992TWINZ

i am new to this as well but if you google the ross 54 box all sorts of info comes out. from the ones i have seen 4 bolt holes still a little sketchy on the pitman arm to short lots of pressure on box. i will be using the ford medium duty trucks for reference they seem to be around same weight. you can cross ref online what trucks these boxes were in and go to ford dealer and use there resources for pitman arms. for the steering colulm ebay has a lot of aftermarket hotrod colulms bare . i would like tilt wheel. i plan on using a comercial steering u joint welded into the colulm. dont want any weird parts need napa to replace if broken. since i am bobbing truck i dont need her all stock.

oddnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hf-54

Hi Vaughn

The HF gears with 4 hoses is normally uses on trucks with auxiliary equipment, as
sleeve cylinders, ore boxes.

On the deuce you don't necessary need that

So if you not uses this you have to blend them.....

I use the ( nr 3 from top) on the drawing from the PS box to the column

Remember to align the U-joint's

Odd

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks