• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PRC-77 Restoration tips and tricks

ColdWarCanada

I have some PRC-77/PRC-25 that I want to restore and replace some of the front panel parts. I have three PRC-77 that are in working condition (receive/transmit). I would like to remove the front panels, disconnect all the knobs and switches and do a restoration cleaning/painting of the front panels.

Could someone who has removed the front panel knobs and connectors give me an idea of how much time should be allocated to do that job, to safely remove all the bits and pieces, clean/prep and paint the front and re-assemble the front panels.

Any tips and tricks? What is the best way to prepare, prime and final paint the aluminum radio case and battery box? What sort of aluminum surface preparation such as sanding, primer and final paint should be used?

Your thoughts?

ColdWarCanada

ColdWarCanada

Any tips and tricks? What is the best way to prepare, prime and final paint the aluminum radio case and battery box? What sort of aluminum surface preparation such as sanding, primer and final paint should be used?
I found the past post on the surface preparation, priming and painting. All great information.
ref: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?68273-refinishing-a-PRC-77/page1

So the missing part is how to remove the front panel from the PRC-77 set. I would prefer to take off all the front panel knobs and fixtures to get at the surface of the panel. Is that worth the effort, or just work around the fittings?

Your thoughts?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took me a couple hours total to do the job of repainting the front cover. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Take off the knobs and covers, tape over the stuff you don't want to paint, and spray bomb the rest. When it's dry, peel the tape off, re-attach the knobs (if they need to be painted too, paint them separately before you re-attach) and covers, and then use a white paint pen for the lettering. Easy.

ColdWarCanada

Took me a couple hours total to do the job of repainting the front cover. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Easy.
Thanks for the information. I just read through the Field and Depot Maintenance Manuals for the PRC-25 and PRC-77 and came to the conclusion it is not worth the effort to remove the front panel, just do as you suggest and just take off the knobs and cover over the various parts. The PRC-25 manual has a section 47 Removal and Replacement of Front Panel. What a job..... the killer is that tuning capacitors C1 and C2 need to be re-aligned after the front panel is removed. I was hoping to swap the nice front panel from a spare PRC-77 onto an ugly PRC-77, but no way....

I will start gathering up the paint stripper, parts and paint. Thanks for the time estimates. It is appreciated.

Maddawg, thanks for your post on restoration techniques. Great post and lots of information!

Cheers!

Last edited: