• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preheater on an 802

Bmxenbrett

The specs say there good down to -25* with out the winterization kit. -50* with it. I have started a 803a with lawnmower batteries at -6* with no preheat. It started fine with about 3sec more of smoke.
I wouldnt even fix that if it broke. As its just heating the air of an alreaty hot engine. It does nothing at cold start up.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No this kit appears to run on diesel, and as it runs, it preheats the radiator fluid (its plumbed into it), so you can add some warmth to the set. It pulls air from near the radiator. Are we talking about the same thing?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We hit -17 a couple years back (was closer to -42 with the wind chill). Seems like a nice option, if they are reliable. I surely wouldn't want to know how much this little box goes for as a replacement.

Guyfang

Staff member
The heaters were issued on a need to use basis. The guys in Alaska got them, the First Mountain guys got them, and a few others. Very, very, very few people saw them. There were a "group" of sets put in storage with heaters, "just in case." The only reason I posted the TB's for the heaters was because someone complained that they could not find them. Most everyone tossed the books as soon as they got them, as no one had ever seen a heater! The kits are neat, handy and work right. But most folks just don't need them. If I lived off grid in far north, I would buy the set in a heartbeat.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This one came from Drum (10th Mountain)... so maybe it was a set from the base, versus just being liquidated through it. I intend on keeping this set for my own use. I'll pull down the TBs for them at some point. Thanks as always Guy.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Artic Heater - Runs on diesel. It is a mini furnace with its own exhaust. It runs and heats the coolant, and circulates it. It does what most people with diesel do in the winter. Plug in the engine.

The artic heater will bring a cold sitting engine up to 100-180 degrees in a few minutes of running. The diesel engine starts much easier and is ready to load sooner.

The artic heater option is like a $4,000 upgrade option.

paine

Howdy,

Artic Heater - Runs on diesel. It is a mini furnace with its own exhaust. It runs and heats the coolant, and circulates it. It does what most people with diesel do in the winter. Plug in the engine.

The artic heater will bring a cold sitting engine up to 100-180 degrees in a few minutes of running. The diesel engine starts much easier and is ready to load sooner.

The artic heater option is like a $4,000 upgrade option.
GOOD find! Is it operational?

**** autocorrect

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Food find! Is it operational?
I believe its fully functional. I heard it whine to start and smoke start to come out (so I shut it down)... had a fuel line on the genset spring a leak, so I havent been able to give it a run yet. I am kind of hoping for cold weather power loss now... is that wrong?

Guyfang

Staff member
I am too lazy to look up the NSN for the kit, but if you post it, I will tell you how much the gov paid for it. Does it even get cold there? I have been wearing long handles for a month here.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

6115-01-476-8973 5KW WINTERIZATION KIT,G
6115-01-477-0564 10KW WINTERIZATION KIT,G

The Government pays $3840.85

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks