• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prelim feeler - Deuce Stencils

liljohn

I don't want to generate too much hype yet, I'm just feeling something out for a friend of mine.

I'm restoring The Alamo to original 1971 Vietnam-era markings. In doing so I've been dismayed to find a lack of stencil availability. Rick Larson at www.militarystencils.com seems to do a good job, but unfortunately his selection in oilboard is limited, and his sets seem to focus mainly on WWII-era hardware. In order to do my deuce with Rick I'd have to order a lot of custom, paint mask stencils - which means I'd be ordering multiples of a lot of stuff. Not the way I really want to go.

I tried making my own, but it is extremely frustrating to cut everything out by hand.

However, I have a friend who will soon be getting a laser cutting machine. I've suggested to him that there might be others in my boat, and perhaps he could make a little money on the side cutting stencils.

So I'm just wondering, would there be interest in this? Are there other people in my boat? My friend can do anything up to 24"x12", after that it would require multiple panels. But that really isn't much of a problem - not many markings are larger than that, and the ones that are, well, you can always cut the panels together yourself, or just make sure to line it up good when you do the second panel.

Let me know what you think. I don't want to give him false hopes, but if there is enough interest we may be able to make something happen.

liljohn

The cache works, but the original site seems to be gone. At any rate those seem to be decals rather than stencils. Maybe he does both? I'm looking for stencils myself.

deuceman51

I would also be interested in this. I would much rather have stencils than decals myself. Rick does a great job on stencils, but I have 2 deuces and a M37 to do and that is a lot of $$$ in stencils.

ida34

I have two items that I would like made into a stencil. One is a copy of my unit patch and the other is a centaur. Both should be about 3 or 4 inches high. What would this cost?

liljohn

No idea yet. I'd have to talk to Gene. But he has said as long as you can provide the font or artwork, he can make it, up to the size restriction I mentioned earlier.

I'm going to get him the correct font for this era, straight from the TB.

Armada

From my experience, if you talk to Rick he can make you just about any stencil you want.
IIRC, I think Polverone might make them too.

67Beast

Re: RE: Prelim feeler - Deuce Stencils

Boatcarpenter said:
Yep, that's my site. My server crashed and they had to stick me up on a different one so it changed the web address.

I perfer to do decals only as stencils waste so much material to make. But I can do stencils if you want. The cost will go up acordding to what you want. Decals are an approved method for marking military vehicles. It was first approved in the early 60's and when until the usage of subdued markings with the 4 color camo pattern. The military had a regulation though that stated that the vehicle was to be marked all in decals or all in paint, and not in combos of them.

liljohn

RE: Re: RE: Prelim feeler - Deuce Stencils

Yeah I know decals are approved, I just personally don't care for them, prefer to paint. I like how it looks better.

Any idea on how much it would be for a full stencil set for a deuce?