• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Premature Glow Plug Burnout?

kassim503

About 8-9 months ago I changed the glow plugs on the 1008 with fresh AC Delco GP's. The truck became a little harder to start this week, and I finally got a chance to look at it today. No air in fuel and it flows well. Checked the relay and it was going strong, then checked the glow plugs and all but one were an open circuit. Confirmed this by jumping the relay and getting no spark at all on the terminals.

What on earth made these things fail so quickly? I bypassed the resistor bank before installing them & put in a new relay as well.

Im thinking two causes, one being that I started driving the truck before the afterglow cycle was finished a couple of times. The other might be the cold advance timing + high idle started operating up to about 160 degrees now, when it used to shut off around 100F.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks