• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prep for Winter operation.

Eliteweapons

This will be my first winter with my Deuce and I wanted to get some tips on winter operation and supplies. What should I look for or do to prepare the Deuce for winter operation besides the TM info? Any little nuances I should be aware of? Any specific things I may want to carry extra with me or issues I may see? Operation characteristics to look out for?

Thanks

Carl_in_NH

A block heater is nice to get it to start easily on cold days.

For my A2, 5,000 pounds of rubble in the bed also helps when it's snowing out. Without weight in the bed it's hard to get traction. At least that was my experience with limited operation in Winter - I try to avoid it, since I don't need yet another vehicle with road salt exposure.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to run my deuce in the winter here in ND and I will share what I have found!
1. block heater for anything below about 30 degrees
2. make sure your starter assist is functional and reliable
3. If your dealing with ICE in your area LOSE THE NDT tires, one patch of ice at a stop light and you will be locking your front axle in to even get moving.
4. run treated number 2 or use straight number 1 for your fuel
5. make sure your filters are all at 100%
6. get a winter front for the truck, I have one I would consider selling if you need it?
7. Drop air pressure in the tires, I ran 40 on the front axle and 25 PSI on all the rears
8. make sure your defroster is functional along with the heater.
9. Seal up your cab the best you can.
10. Have chains with you at all times just in case
11. Put some weight in the bed, preferably around 4K pounds.

My truck has the flame heater in the intake and it has always worked flawless and I have started my truck after sitting out in down to 10 degrees with no other assist, I dont like ether and dependent on where your located a block heater will go further for helping you and your engine than just about anything else on my list, I cannot recommend that addition to your truck enough!!
Everything else is pretty normal, let the truck warm up at least 15 minutes before you start moving then take it easy till your building up some real heat then your good to go!
Good luck and if you do your part the truck will do its part!
Karl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If possible, put the weigbt as far aft in the bed as possible. Helps unload some of the front axle weight and balance the trucks ground pressure.

dmetalmiki

Hmm, well over here in blighty..all we need is..T Shirts..COOLERS!..the way things are going with global warming. Used to sledge in october..Sunbathing today!!.

saddamsnightmare

October 30th, 2016.

Seems like the one thing we all forgot....The alcohol inspirator for the air compressor to keep ice from forming in the air brake assist system....... A frozen up air pack will make your day very much harder then you could ever imagine.....:!:

Three rail chains for the rear duals and chains for the front if in deep snow.....:D

UPFINN

I believe the risks of ndts on snowy/icy roads is overhyped. Last winter I drove my deuce with ndts hauling anywhere from 3 tons to empty. Just made sure to downshift a lot, give plenty of room to stop, and pump the brakes. I am in Michigans upper Peninsula where it snows 6 months of the year, and the roads are hilly and full of pot holes.

rustystud

I believe the risks of ndts on snowy/icy roads is overhyped. Last winter I drove my deuce with ndts hauling anywhere from 3 tons to empty. Just made sure to downshift a lot, give plenty of room to stop, and pump the brakes. I am in Michigans upper Peninsula where it snows 6 months of the year, and the roads are hilly and full of pot holes.
I also drove my deuce in the Marines in snow. It seemed to handle it pretty well. Now ice would be a different story. I would chain it up for that.

rustystud

October 30th, 2016.

Seems like the one thing we all forgot....The alcohol inspirator for the air compressor to keep ice from forming in the air brake assist system....... A frozen up air pack will make your day very much harder then you could ever imagine.....:!:

Three rail chains for the rear duals and chains for the front if in deep snow.....:D
I don't believe in using alcohol in the air-system anymore. Neither do the manufacturers. A good air-dryer is the way to go now, and be sure to drain your air-tanks daily.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ecology blocks are around 3k to 6k in weight and costs around 150$ from a local concrete place.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

st8drumz

Got a question on the alcohol inspirator - just got my deuce this summer - new to owning a MV. Don't know what to do with it. Do I just put alcohol in it? Can't seem to find anything in a TM about it. Also, rustystud, you mentioned not even using it anymore? Does it cause problems? Where would I get an air dryer for it? Brand new to owning a diesel and air brakes.

rustystud

Got a question on the alcohol inspirator - just got my deuce this summer - new to owning a MV. Don't know what to do with it. Do I just put alcohol in it? Can't seem to find anything in a TM about it. Also, rustystud, you mentioned not even using it anymore? Does it cause problems? Where would I get an air dryer for it? Brand new to owning a diesel and air brakes.
If you want to use the alcohol unit there should be a hex nut on top that comes off. You fill it with "denatured" alcohol to the indicator line. The military never officially sanctioned their use as far as I know so there will be no documentation on it from them. In todays truck world everyone uses an air-dryer system. They are more efficient and do not damage the 'O' rings and seals like alcohol does. I personally use the Bendix AD-9 as they where used industry wide for over three decades. Parts are everywhere for them and cheap ! Since you must replace the desiccant at least every two years on "any" air-dryer system the low cost of replacements for the AD-9 is great ! I can replace the "spitter" valve assembly for under $30.00 and the desiccant for under $40.00 if I shop around. The spin-on desiccant alone for the "Haldex" costs over $120.00 ! That was the cheapest I could find recently. That's 3 times the cost of the AD-9.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks