• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preparing for pickup (checklist)

CGregson

I'm sorting out in my mind what I want to check real fast when I show up to pick up my truck. I think this is my list so far (truck is 998 '88) Basic ideal is to come with some extra cash and see what I can grab (not sure this is something that can be done but I thought I'd be ready just in case)

Does it have the Jack, Jack Handle, Wrench and bag? (under drivers seat I believe)
Do they have any jack stands around I can give them a few bucks for?
Does it have the Fire Extinguisher?
Does it have the M-16 holders, if not do they have any laying around
Are there any chocks to be had
Does it have a tool kit on it (pioneer kit) seems they are likely to be on rear bumper in this year
Fire Aid kit present?
Slave cable there or around?
Does it have wheel chains
Are the tools and tool bag there?

This is from my reviewing the Technical Manual Unit Maintenance (if I recall right). I believe all if not most of these items are on the truck when it's in the fleet.

kc5mzd

Who are you picking it up from?
How far is it?
Does it start on its own?
If you are picking it up from a auction you should not expect it to have anything. I would spend time to check all fluids grease all fittings including the u-joints. You should expect to have to buy 2 new batteries and install them yourself...

Wire Fox

This sounds like a great checklist of equipment to ensure is in-place before embarking on a mission in an issued HMMWV, but if this is a checklist for things to ensure a GovPlanet auction HMMWV has before picking it up, you're going to find that almost nothing will get checked off. Only thing that's guaranteed to be there is what you saw in the photos for your auction lot that you bid on. You need to look over the HMMWV and ensure that you are looking at the CORRECT HMMWV (verify serial number, auction number), all equipment that was in-place in the auction is still in-place upon pickup, check for any discrepencies, such as damaged components. Anything missing or damaged should be written down and discussed with GovPlanet before you ever leave the lot. Negotiate what is appropriate to remedy situation (some money back, refusal and refund of the auction lot, etc...) and get it fixed or set to be fixed in-writing.

Things useful to prepare for pickup:

• Determine if you will be picking up the HMMWV yourself, or paying a professional to pickup the HMMWV for you.
  • Contact the liason from GovPlanet right away to see what pickup times are possible and get it scheduled.
  • If picking up yourself, ensure you have a properly sized and rated trailer, plus a tow vehicle rated for the load.
  • Ensure you have a winch or other method to pull the HMMWV onto the trailer, even if it's guaranteed to be running (because problems do develop and they may not have the tools to help you)
  • Ensure you have all of the appropriate tiedowns to safely secure the HMMWV to the trailer
  • If you are purchasing a running HMMWV, bring everything needed to test it is as-described: jumper cables, new batteries, replacements fluids in case of leaks, and all tools needed for the maintenance. Naturally, check to ensure all of the fluids are present and in reasonable condition before trying to start the vehicle to not cause further damage.
  • If it is a non-runner, limit your testing to what the auction had in-writing and photographed, in order to save everyone time; they don't guarantee what they didn't test
  • You have a limited time from when you remove the vehicle from the lot to make any late claim, so do an even more thorough check when you get home, as it will be your last chance for any compensation if anything is not quite as-described

CGregson

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. Super helpful. I wasn't too confident all (or any of that stuff would be in the truck) my thought was more to have some cash on hand in case they are laying around the yard.

The truck is from GovPlanet and it runs (or ran) and I will be arranging transport.

Again, thanks for all the tips, definitely will put all this into play.

HMMWV.jpg hmmwva.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you just now win it? If so it may take up to 2 months if not longer for your paper work to clear. If it is not shown in the GP pictures consider it not there and as far as buying stuff at the lot that is not the GP way. You can put up the closed auction lot # and we can look it over. Also did you purchase a less expensive off road only one or the higher priced on road one?

kc5mzd

I got a M998 2-7-17 I am still waiting for the paperwork. Mine started and drove. I will be renting a U-haul trailer and pulling it with a 3/4 ton van. Keep us updated...

Last edited:

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not think U-haul had a trailer wide enough?
DanJ
I got a M998 2-7-17 I am still waiting for the paperwork. Mine started and drove. I will be renting a U-haul trailer and pulling it with a 2/4 ton van. Keep us updated...

Lawdog734

I'm sorting out in my mind what I want to check real fast when I show up to pick up my truck. I think this is my list so far (truck is 998 '88) Basic ideal is to come with some extra cash and see what I can grab (not sure this is something that can be done but I thought I'd be ready just in case)
All of the items in your list are unit issue items (pioneer tools, slave cables) or are required to be removed prior to turning in to DRMO (fire extinguisher), so the likelihood of finding those in your truck would only be due to luck where someone neglected to remove them. The trucks are kept either on post or at a storage lot off post, they're not surplus shops. If you need or desire any of those items, take the cash ya have now and start buying them.

Wiry Fox's list is much more practical and is what you should primarily take heed to when picking up and looking over your truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a M998 2-7-17 I am still waiting for the paperwork. Mine started and drove. I will be renting a U-haul trailer and pulling it with a 2/4 ton van. Keep us updated...
Isn't a 2/4 ton van the same as a half ton?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks