• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prepping a large MV for paint

plym49

I have a question as to how you all prep a large MV prior to paint.

I've seen plenty of SS threads where, for example, someone is bobbing a deuce with peeling paint on a rusty frame, then cutting and welding, and then poof! it's tomorrow and the deuce is painted, including the frame and running gear. They seem to look pretty good and they also seem to get painted pretty quick.

With these large vehicles and a lot of nooks, crannies, brackets and what-not stuck all over them, I can't imagine that there is a lot of block and wet-sanding going on here.

So, what is the drill? Powerwash, a wipedown with Prepsol, and paint? Or what?

KsM715

You hit the nail on the head. Its called a "motorpool paint job" Kind of goes with the theme of keeping it as close to "original" as possible.

plym49

You hit the nail on the head. Its called a "motorpool paint job" Kind of goes with the theme of keeping it as close to "original" as possible.
Well, they seem to look pretty good, at least in photos, and I guess with dull paint that touch-ups are a breeze.

Bill W

I used a pressure washer ( 4000psi) on both my deuces chassis and drive gear then primed and painted them, I did take a DA all the sheetmetal and did some extra sanding on the rusty brakes drums, Trucks came out fine. You can click on my link below and see them ( M-45A2 & also M-35 Kaiser ) and your right about all the nooks and crannies, I used 7gals on the M-35

plym49

I used a pressure washer ( 4000psi) on both my deuces chassis and drive gear then primed and painted them, I did take a DA all the sheetmetal and did some extra sanding on the rusty brakes drums, Trucks came out fine. You can click on my link below and see them ( M-45A2 & also M-35 Kaiser ) and your right about all the nooks and crannies, I used 7gals on the M-35
Everything is gorgeous. What color paint did you use on the M37 engine?

plym49

Last edited:

plym49

It seems that the paint products used on MVs can be applied over whatever is on there already. Just prime and shoot - no sealers or whatever. Is that right? Can the MV paints generally be applied over anything (enamel, lacquer, two-part, etc.)?

plym49

Thanks for the link. That was a really nice job that was done and the truck looks great.

Although I don't understand why you would go through all that work and not drop the tanks, remove the exhaust and so on. You can't sandblast, prep or paint behind those components.

For a motor pool paint job, I understand you would not remove components. But for an all-out job such as the one in the link, why not invest a few more hours of labor?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks