• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prepping aluminum MRAP rims for painting

Bo1

I am picking up my aluminum MRAP rims and tires tomorrow, and the tan paint looks pretty beat up, and the bolts look to have some rust on them.
Anybody have experience prepping these rims for new paint? I would like to get these rims pretty clean and spray them with flat black paint.
thanks,
Bo

Artisan

...and what are you planning on attaching these MRAP rims to?

best to add some pictures of what you have as well.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is he's putting them on peashooter adapter plates and bolting them up to his M35

I'd prep them by means of sandblasting and have at it. Likely someone more knowledgeable than myself will come along with a better suggestion.

Bo1

98G is correct, I am putting them on one of my Deuces. Just got home with the wheels and tires, and it is raining, so I will have to post pictures later.
I was not sure if sandblasting aluminum was a no-no or what. It would definatly be the best way to get everything including the steel nuts clean. I will call a sandblasting shop and see what his opinion is.
Thanks,
Bo

elkhtr

Prior to the zinc chromate primer, wipe down with alodine 1201, rinse with water, dry and prime.
Alodine is available at most marine hardware stores, or any aircraft supply house.
This does a chemical conversion of the surface that will prevent corrosion from starting under the primer.
Do it within four hours of abbrading the surface if you can.
Have fun!