• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prepunched holes in M37?

Dodge man

My M37 has large pre-punched holes in it. One on the dash and just to the left of the glove box and another on the left cowling just in front of the drivers door and just below the window. Anybody know what these were for?

Dodge man

I don't think so. These are LARGE holes. Approximately 4 inches in diameter. OH! I'll bet they're for the heater/defroster kits! Never seen the heater so I didn't know where the hoses went through the panels but I'll bet that that's them. Thanks anyway!

xm708

holes

The hole on the dash to the left of the glove box is for the defroster assembly that goes left to right over the guages and defrosts both windows. Not sure about the other one though.

Eric's hifim37

The M37 is probally the most universal truck ever built for the Military, it could be configured to adapt to any climate. even to adapt to the carbon footprint it leaves :roll: just joking as I don't do the fake global warming deal, I have owned many of these trucks for the last 25 years and I am still learning about the options and what fits what hole.

BTY, nice collection of Mopars, I have some goodies too. They are fun

Eric..

Dodge man

BTY, nice collection of Mopars, I have some goodies too. They are fun

Eric..
Thanks. It's kind of fun to add a new "Mopar" to the collection! The funny thing is that I used to have a '50 Plymouth Sedan Deluxe with the same motor and probably the same transmission!

Oilleaker1

The hole in front of the door is for the left front fender mounted optional heater for the cab. It blew across to the glove box behind the dash and then either dumped out a chute to the floor or went through the other dash hole into the steel defroster box. There was a flex hose coming across the dash from the outside hole. Midwest military was selling the kit new for 550.00 I think. I put a Arvin heater from a chevy pickup in mine. It looks the part painted OD. Cost me 0 cause I had it laying around. John

Dodge man

Hi Leaker,

Any pictures of your heater? I'd wondered about putting a civilian heater on mine too. $550 is too much for an original considering how simple they are.

armytruck63

I like the idea of a civilian heater because I think the fender mounted military hot water heater detracts from the looks of the truck.

Oilleaker1

Sorry Dodgeman, my camera doesn't do well with up close shots. My Arvin is about 14 x 14 inches square with a revolving front shutter system in front of the core the fan blows through. You can rotate the 3 shutter system and aim it where you want. It's mounted to the right of the 4 wheel drive levers on the firewall which is stepped. The rear mounting system had two large threaded hollow tubes that the copper pipes run through to the core. If you do one like mine, study the area behind the air filter on the firewall before you drill. It's tight in there and you need to have room to run heater hoses from the rear of the head outlet plug and top of the waterpump inlet plug. Special spacers need to be made to mount the heater on the two firewall levels. I tapped 12 volts from the positive post of the first of the two batteries. Don't forget to fuse the power!!!!!!!! I bought one of those knob-lit heater control switches you see on the Willys Jeep Ebay sites. It's a rheostat type so you can speed up or slow down the fan. It actually gets hot in the cab!:shock: John