• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pressure at gladhands?

derpschitz

I've been searching the google and this forum trying to find the answer to "what is the air pressure coming off the gladhands" but can't find any info. My intent is to find out if there is enough flow off the emergency line to run an impact hammer capable of moving the lugnuts. Thanks!

Third From Texas

I take it you already know the parameters to make the front REAR glad hand even work as a air supply. *edit

That said, I much prefer tapping a fitting and disconnect right off the fittings next too the tank.

Because...reasons.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep a 50' glad hand hose on my truck. With a tire inflator and impact. Works great. I also keep a blow gun on hand - great for blowing the dog hair out of my cab, cleaning my HVAC filter panel (AC console has recirc filter), and blowing the dust out of my habitat, etc.

I have run a 3M DA Oribital sander, die grinders with pads and wire wheels, etc. Very useful. Remember to put the truck on high idle if you are using something that needs a bunch of air. And service your dryer appropriately if you are running tools a lot and not just the intermittent compressor operation for the service brakes. The more the compressor runs the more water it will condense and the more often the drier will need service.

The pressure will be whatever you compressor unloader is set to. Usually and per the spec it should be 125 psi.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1" Chicago Pneumatic wrench and my M54A1 won't run enough air to take off more than 1 nut without a wait to rebuild air, even at high idle 2100 rpm. Apparently the line size is too small to deliver the required CFM.

I solved it by using a larger portable tank, filled from the red port. When filled, the wrench runs off that tank and does the job easily.

However, I parked all that stuff in the shop and bought a battery-electric impact for the road, and it will easily do more than three wheels on the 5-ton without any hassles.

I've seen military 24-Volt impacts as issue nowadays.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect success running an air impact with a newer 5-ton is easier, as their air system is designed to support full air brakes.

My '67 5-ton has air=over-hydraulic brakes, and the air demand is less than the others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks