• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pressure wash a fuel tank?

pbranch

I have an M35A3 and had some fuel problems (see earlier posts if interested). The fuel in the tank is an orange color and no telling how long it has been there. A flashlight shows some material on the bottom of the tank and I'm thinking I need to empty the tank and clean it. I have seen references to pressure washing the fuel tank to clean it. Is it done on the vehicle or do you need to pull the tank?? Are there any components in the tank itself that might be damaged? Any hints or tips?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I have an M35A3 and had some fuel problems (see earlier posts if interested). The fuel in the tank is an orange color and no telling how long it has been there. A flashlight shows some material on the bottom of the tank and I'm thinking I need to empty the tank and clean it. I have seen references to pressure washing the fuel tank to clean it. Is it done on the vehicle or do you need to pull the tank?? Are there any components in the tank itself that might be damaged? Any hints or tips?
Can’t speak for pressure washing one, but I do know if you take your tank off, add about 15 gallons of E85 and pea gravel and rotate it a lot it’s a super cheap way to remove all kinds of stuff!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull the tank off the truck. It is easy to do. Disconnect the electrical connection, disconnect fuel supply and return line and vent line, remove two bolts from the tank straps and slide it out!

I would take the fuel sending unit and the in-tank pump out. That gives you a big hole to stick your pressure washer in and also go in with your hand and a rag or sponge and wash it thoroughly. It may or may not need anything more. Just remember that the A3 tank is aluminium, not steel, so I'd be a bit more careful with throwing a chain in and tossing it around.

As for removal of stuff - as I said, take the fuel sending unit out and check/clean the in-tank pump when you have it out. If you are careful removing the old gaskets, you can reuse them. If not, just cut your own from a sheet of gasket material from the autoparts store. A useful skill to learn in any case! Yes, they are available pre-made but where is the fun in that?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drained my tank and pulled it, it wasn’t that hard all in all. I pressure washed mine out and then 1/4 of the way filled it with acetone (my gunk was all on the bottom), sealed the tank for two days and flushed it out and re hit it with the pressure washer. Now I didn’t have much in the way of gunk but it worked great! Only butt pain was getting the sprayer behind the baffles in the tank to flush out those sides. The baffles make it pretty much impossible to scrub back there.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We clean them by removing them from the truck, seal the tank up add about 3 gal of Wild Dog ( a caustic cleaner like purple power, but much stronger) turn the tank as we walk by for at least 3 days, more if very nasty, pressure wash as much as can be reached. It will shine like the above picture.