• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preventing drive gear bolts from dropping during IP removal/installation

dagsurplus

I was paranoid about having the IP drive gear bolts drop into the engine/pan during removal/installation. I got a store-bought insert with small magnets for the 13mm socket. You can see they are really small; not much help in my opinion. I had a small round refrigerator magnet handy so I put it in the socket and then inserted the bolt; it was so powerful that it was actually difficult to separate the bolt from the socket. I used some silicon seal to affix the magnets to the sockets; did both 3/8 and 1/2 not knowing which would work best. You can see in the photos that the head space is larger for the 1/2 socket.

I had no problems using the 1/2 socket and short extension when removing the bolts. It was really nice to not have to worry about the bolt falling out of the socket and into the engine. My bigger concern was the socket separating from the extension; ie, sticking to the bolt head because of the power of the magnet.

When installing the new IP, I found it easier to use the 3/8 socket with extension to start the bolt and then the 1/2 to fully tighten. I used an old side view mirror during removal/installation; did not remove anything but oil filler spout. It gave good vision with a drop light; easy to see things like the guide pin in the elliptical hole and each of the three bolt holes.

People on this board have been so generous with their helpful advice to me in the past; I hope that this is of some use to somebody with their future IP removal/installation.

Attachments

scoutdoors1000

1) awesome tip
2) where were you 1 week ago when I was pulling mine. I was moving SOOOO carefully when I got those bolts loose. At least with the mirror trick install will be simple.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks