• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Previewing a Deuce

AtomicHillbilly

OK- I think this time I have given due diligence to a pre-post search. I am looking for pointers on what to look for when previewing a deuce. I figure if I could get it to crank then that would be half the battle. Row through the gears, make sure everything shifts ok. Rust, leaks, missing parts. Rods sticking out of the block, square tires, possums under the seats. Anything I'm missing? Will GL allow you to take more pictures?

Thanks,

~J

ARYankee

:ditto: Mostly check the fluids, signs of leaks, I would get in and just try to move it forward and back to sort of test the brakes. I think there is a thread around on here about inspecting and recovering. You might try to search for it.

sandcobra164

Check brakes!!! Bring a set of known good batteries (you might burn up the alternator trying to charge batteries that have likely been dead for who knows how long), bring a way to fill up low tires (I use a hose that hooks into the rear emergency air gladhand), Oil/Antifreeze/Gear Oil, check fluids, start truck and go. Hopefully everything checks out. Once truck is running, drain airtanks as they are usually pretty full of water, drain primary fuel filter near front of passenger side frame rail until no water is coming out, drain secondary fuel filters on driver's side rear of motor until no water is seen and have a safe recovery. Also, have a back up plan in mind as GL usually wants the truck gone regardless of whether you've been blessed with a runner or not. Be careful of bidding wars on GL. I've lost alot of trucks due to someone being gung ho at the end of Thursday's bidding but I've also set my cutoff's and bid accordingly. Preview the truck beforehand to ensure you're not buying 13,000 pounds of scrap metal.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the brakes - the most important part of the truck!

I made arrangements with a local wrecker company that could move the truck off-site if needed. I didn't need them, mine ran fine and I drove it about ~700 miles home. I was lucky, however.

AtomicHillbilly

Thaks guys! The tips and pointers really help. I have driven diesels plenty of times, but never done much maintenance on them. I am hoping that a deuce would be as easy to work on as an M38A1/CJ. As long as it doesn't have a computer I ought to be able to figure it out!