• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Previous Owners hack jobs

dstang97

With all of the recent threads about previous owners Hacking stuff up, I think we should post up some pictures of these geniuses work. I have bought 3 cucv that were total hack jobs. Mostly wiring nightmares.

here are some of the things i have found. complete butchered up harnesses, Made their own switches for headlights and wiper switches, hybrid 12v/24v no clue what they were doing.

Attachments

Last edited:

ryan77

By a used harness from ebay and sh$t can the old one u can change it in 2 hrs just unplugs ive had to do 3 of them every truck i buy from a non military seller is like that!!!!

dstang97

I actually got that thing running in less than 3 hours I had to run my own wires to get it to start. That truck is long gone, but it did get save and not parted out for axles for someones stupid project. The truck was 100% gone through and someone wanted it more than me. I am currently working on my 1028 which I think is worse than this one. I got all of my parts I need yesterday.

joediveguy

I feel your pain! I have one too, not quite that bad, but a PITA no less. I just purchased one from GL that looks as if it came right out of MIL service and everything looks intact. I did the resister bypass, put new batteries in and she fired right up!

A big plus buying straight from MIL service, they have not had time to hack it up........

jstier

With all of the recent threads about previous owners Hacking stuff up, I think we should post up some pictures of these geniuses work. I have bought 3 cucv that were total hack jobs. Mostly wiring nightmares.

here are some of the things i have found. complete butchered up harnesses, Made their own switches for headlights and wiper switches, hybrid 12v/24v no clue what they were doing.

WOW,
Reminds me of my 70 RS Z28. I ended up replacing the whole harness when I redid the whole car. When I was tearing down my car the previous owner had use 6 different pieces of wire all taped together all different gauges, just for one the rear speakers. You should have seen the engine compartment. I was amazed that it even ran or that it didn't burn up on the drive home. Some people should be shot.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get at least one PM a week asking for assistance on CUCV wiring. Always trying to restore the truck to operational condition.

Hack jobs galore.

Dukeboy

I think that guy did some of the wiring in my house, It had some very creative transfers from knob and tube to romex hidden in the walls.

combatmech

Holy cripes.... Once upon a time when I worked little airplanes, I saw a C-172 that the owner "re-wired" the instrument panel..... Nightmares!!!! Good luck with that hot mess

HikerMan

Wow thats a wiring mess

When I got my truck there was some stuff wrong...
Starter relay was bypassed with an ignition switch which sparked and shocked everytime it was used...yeah that was replaced quickly

Fuses were missing, diodes were melted, fusible links about to blow, battery cables corroded, cigarette lighters wired into nothing, etc

Hopefully there wont be any more...glad I am back to stock!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You ain't seen nuthin' of bubba's work until you owned an old Willys. Don't know what it is about Bubba and jeeps, but that CUCV doesn't have anything wrong with it compared to some work I've seen on old Willys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks