• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price Check on a M100

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at a Jan/53 M100. It's missing the fenders and the lunette has been cut off and a civy hitch welded on. Just curious as to the difficulty finding fenders and if the lunette can be replaced as a bolt on item or need to be welded. Would a M416 lunette be sufficiently correct? The back has not been cut but there is a hole in the floor (how big I don't know).

I know it's one of those things like "how long is a piece of string" type of question but it belongs to a friend and I'd like to help him out as the current situation is hitting him financially but I don't want "what the he77 was I thinking" to smack me in the head later.

PUIE0411.JPEGWLRF3758.JPEG

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fenders are $115 ea from MD Juan distributors and they have the lunette eye too for $235. Trailer as is should be $800 ish?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
$400 is a great deal if it’s solid. The lunette itself is the same as on m416s (although some early m100s did have the thinner style) and will bolt up as long as they didn’t ruin the casting (which looks okay from the pic).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoping it'll show up either today or tomorrow and then I'll be able to determine if it's a drain plug hole or a rust hole.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it turns out it was both better and worse than I thought.

The better part is they just cut off the ring of the lunette so I should be able to unbolt it and bolt a replacement with no problem.

The worse...the hole turned out to be about a 16" diameter rust hole in the front of the floor and corresponding 3" strip starting at the front, bedside rib going all around the front and ending at the front rib on the other side. Someone cut out the rusted portion and tack welded (poorly) a strip of replacement metal.

Getting back to the better, the tub is in surprisingly good shape (other than the rust). There are hardly any dings in the panels and everything seems to be solid. Also turns out there is a landing leg which wasn't visible in the pics so another thing that doesn't need replacing. And it has the original intervehicle cable box still attached.

Worse, all the front reflectors, lights, original mil wiring are gone. It does have the original data plates that were removed and put in the cable box. They're in tough shape but readable.

IMG_4494.JPGIMG_4495.JPGIMG_4493.JPGIMG_4492.JPGIMG_4498.JPGIMG_4496.JPGIMG_4497.JPG

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huge plus to have the ultra rare intervehicular cable box there! Needs an entire floor replacement which is a brutal project. If the wiring and lights had been there, they wouldn't be usable. If you run the numbers, you will end up upside down on this if you restore it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I’m thinking I might be able to make it a decent 20 yarder (pretty from a distance) without piling a bunch of money into it. The Champ is kind of like that and probably what I’d pull it with. Worse case scenario is I sell it to some Jeepster for an overlanding trailer.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the particle board flooring out of the trailer. The floor had already been replaced once. What I thought was a rust hole in the floor appears to be torch cut. Whether they were cutting rust out or not guess we'll never know.

IMG_4503.JPGIMG_4504.JPG

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That floor is not original, it is supposed to have ribs in it spaced a few inches apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks