• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prices finally dropping.. phew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjeepster

I am interested to see what happens to prices as the sales continue. Looking through various classified sources the recently released trucks are starting to show up on the re-sale market in the high 20s-low 40s. I am not sure that is sustainable considering that 4000 are approved to sell and not a lot of people have that kind of cash laying around to chunk out on an off-road toy. In my research I have found that the original group that were sold in the late 90s were also sold with a "off-road use" clause, but many of those are now road legal as we know.

I want to get one, but don't want to get hosed on it... I think in a very short time we will be seeing them at auction for 5-6 K and re-sale for 12-15K for runners. Trying to decide if I should get in now, or go with my gut and wait for the market to become saturated.

Assel

well here in germany I heard of a guy who buys the 6.2 Diesel engines from the army, and he could only get the ones from CUCV´s, because the sorted out HUMVEES are crushed by a 100t Excavator..driver sheds tears when he has to destroy Runners with 10k miles...just because its forbidden to sell them and storage/repair/reship to U.S. would be to expensive.... could that be true or just some urban MV fairytale?

greenjeepster

well here in germany I heard of a guy who buys the 6.2 Diesel engines from the army, and he could only get the ones from CUCV´s, because the sorted out HUMVEES are crushed by a 100t Excavator..driver sheds tears when he has to destroy Runners with 10k miles...just because its forbidden to sell them and storage/repair/reship to U.S. would be to expensive.... could that be true or just some urban MV fairytale?
From the US Army or German? I didn't think Germany owned any. If it is the US Army it would not surprise me... We waste a lot of stuff. I grew up close to a closed radar base in the northeast. When they closed the base after WW2 all the jeeps and equipment on base was pushed into a hole and filled over.

DatGuyC

There were like 10 slantback HMMWV's in hawaii that were sold as scrap on iron planets site a little while back. They looked like they were in really nice condition also.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Guys paid too much for them with no title. Now they are popping up on the open market as buyers are trying to get out of them once they realize they can't register them. It's going to tank the market for the previously owned, legally titled humvees.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Guys paid too much for them with no title. Now they are popping up on the open market as buyers are trying to get out of them once they realize they can't register them. It's going to tank the market for the previously owned, legally titled humvees.
Sucks for them. But I'd buy a $5K off road only HMMWV.

85 USMC M998

Yea I don't like the idea of a tanked market for the legally titled HMMWV but then again I doubt I'll ever sell mine.

turnkey

The idea of Diseny buying them for a funland makes sense....The rumors are flying today...500 bucks sounds about right to park in the front yard and have the guys next door go crazy.

KansasBobcat

Yea I don't like the idea of a tanked market for the legally titled HMMWV but then again I doubt I'll ever sell mine.
I posted earlier that I did not care about the value of my M998. I think the hobby will benefit greatly from the sale of HMMWV. We need something to revitalize the collecting of military vehicles.. No more jeeps in crates, etc. This is a hobby for many of us and we need to look at it that way. Not to in any way disparage those that do it as a side line or a business, of course. We all need to be together on military vehicles registration, ownership, etc and not be to eager to criticize those that are trying to register and drive their vehicles legally...the laws differ from state to state...thank God !

greenjeepster

Lets be honest though guys... look what people will pay for a Gama-goat in good running condition or a MUTT most of which cannot be registered. Many MV guys own large amounts of vehicles they don't even drive, to say nothing about drive on the road.

If I do buy one I am going to get it titled, I can do that without using it on the road and due to CT property tax laws I am required to have title on every vehicle in my driveway. Plus if things change down the road than I am a step ahead.

Jon0249

I got one in Tx a couple weeks ago - can't wait to go get it! I was really bummed at the off-road restriction, but I happen to own a small farm. Turns out Tx DMV will allow a farm use title and farm tags. Tx law allows me to drive a farm tagged vehicle between home and farm, plus other uses. So good for all of you out there that own a piece of land in Texas! Narrow roads? Not really a problem - I have a feeling they'll move over. After all, the intimidation factor is part of the reason for owning this beast... :)

KansasBobcat

I got one in Tx a couple weeks ago - can't wait to go get it! I was really bummed at the off-road restriction, but I happen to own a small farm. Turns out Tx DMV will allow a farm use title and farm tags. Tx law allows me to drive a farm tagged vehicle between home and farm, plus other uses. So good for all of you out there that own a piece of land in Texas! Narrow roads? Not really a problem - I have a feeling they'll move over. After all, the intimidation factor is part of the reason for owning this beast... :)
Keep us informed. Many of us Texans eagerly await your report on registration. Good luck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until the status of the sales change, no talk is allowed about how to register and drive a HMMWV on the road.

Even though there may be legal ways to register a HMMWV, you agree to the terms on the sale when you buy it. The terms say "off-road use only". We will not have discussions here about how to violate the terms of the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.