• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

prices

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gotta vent. got me a good Humvee and prices for parts are absolutely shocking. the gasket for gear hub held on by 6 bolts $20.00 for 1. its crazy. like in old days you got a corvette go get a starter for a 68 small block, same as a 68 truck the vette is in the special book cause its for a vette. and shipping, do they inflate shipping prices to make more money? put gasket in envelope nope we want to charge you 20 bucks for shipping. well feel better now but I know some of you know where I stand.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part prices. If the parts are common off-the-shelf ones, you are paying "military markup". If they're NOT common parts (and face it, a lot of the things on a 24V HMMWV are not), then you are paying low-volume, military markup. Either way, these are not high volume production vehicles with millions of units made over many years, but instead vehicles in the 250,000 range. Over the length of production, these numbers of more analogous to Lamborghini then Jeep.

I wish parts were cheaper, and sometimes you CAN find good deals on them (both domestic and foreign part copies). But in the end you need to expect to pay a lot more for parts, and be surprised when you don't have to.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to agree!

I vividly remember my first HMMWV part order. It was for a small spring. $1.35 for the small spring, and $25 for shipping aua in a 45 cent first class envelop.
lol I've had the same experience. I've gotten to the point of writing down everything that has gone wrong since the last time I ordered parts.. (or upcoming maintenance) and then building up larger parts orders.. save on shipping, but end up with $500+ parts orders.. :confused: Also figured out what sort of things I just need to keep handy "just in case", mostly the wiring connectors (both male and female), reminds me. I probably need to buy a few more....

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmwv parts did not have a market and were practically given away or scrapped as only the lucky first ones who had USMC trucks needed them. When you got some in a mixed GL lot, they were considered extra "garbage" goodies. Even when they first started selling the trucks again things were reasonable and boom maybe a year later creeped up and never stopped creeping . They are now crazy stupid.

I think of the items I resold years ago and what they bring now and I would have done much better than the stock market or Russian oligarchs... Hindsight right?

I don't think I could afford all the goodies on mine now If I had to pay prevailing prices and have increased my insurance coverage over the years.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some HMMWV parts. I couldn’t tell you what they are because they’re stacked in plastic bins in the bottomless hole in my barn. Fortunately, I actually itemized everything. Even put numbers on the bins so I can find things. I’m not trying to break the bank. When I try to sell parts, I’ll look them up on various websites. They’re usually pretty close price wise across multiple sources. Then I request 1/2 of the price everyone else is charging.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deals are out there. I just got a dual voltage regulator N3135 for $170 including shipping. I have spare parts like wiper motors and signal switches in labeled boxes because I bought them when I saw a bargain. A set of 4 24 bolt rims with new tires for $100 apiece. Just buy stuff when you see it. Keep it for a rainy day.

M1165A1

One could make a pretty good living buying the non-runners from GP and parting them out.

$5K for a set of doors? Almost covers the cost of a buying the truck if you get one with doors.

Reactions: OBX

Autonomy_Lost

One could make a pretty good living buying the non-runners from GP and parting them out.

$5K for a set of doors? Almost covers the cost of a buying the truck if you get one with doors.
I've never seen a truck with hard doors go for under 20K. Add fees, tax, and shipping, and you are pushing 30.

jrpontiac

I got my first HMMWV in 2016, sold it about a year later. Just picked up another one and I think the HMMWV's at auction cost less than they did in 2016 but the parts are way more expensive.

blutow

I check in on auction prices every once and a while and I've seen a lot of cheap trucks being sold recently, but most of them are really rough and/or incomplete. That's probably great if you are looking for a project or maybe a parts truck, but it seems like the clean/complete trucks are getting a bigger premium since there are less of them. I bought mine about a year ago and it seemed like there were a lot of really solid trucks being sold during that time. Some were going for significant $'s (mainly the turbo trucks), but many were bare-bones 1123's and that's what I ended up with for a little under $10k (and there were a bunch of nice 1123's being sold around that price point).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks