• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary Filter Confusion

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with you...

Note that the original primary is rated 40 microns.
Images below show the difference. Try SECO in Augusta GA for original filters, specify the part number called out in the TMs. Should be about $20. Memphis used to have them also.
The original can be wiped off and reused.
I tried the local filter gurus here yesterday. They took a look at the filter and liked to have died...brought back memories of riding in the back of a deuce 400 miles. Shrugged my shoulders and said driving them aint that fun either...kinda broke the tension.

Back to the filter, Facet has been bought out twice (or more) and Purolator now owns them. The filter number stamped on the housing is still good.
The bad thing is that they will be coming straight from the factory and there is a minimum order of approx 20 to meet the minimum. I Guess SECO, Memphis, etc. would be the only reasonable supplier.

BTW, It is cleanable but, after 30 years, really wanted to change it out.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice but if you leave a open end wrench on the bolt up top it's a spin on. I like the primary fuel filter housing it feels solid.

Ah, but you shouldn't do it this way. Yes, you can put a wrench on the top bolt and spin the bowl around until it gets close to the top- but to tighten it, you should hold the bowl still and use the wrench on the nut to bring it into contact with the gasket and tighten it. If you spin it all the way up it is very easy to have problems with the gasket.

Heavysteven

Ah, but you shouldn't do it this way. Yes, you can put a wrench on the top bolt and spin the bowl around until it gets close to the top- but to tighten it, you should hold the bowl still and use the wrench on the nut to bring it into contact with the gasket and tighten it. If you spin it all the way up it is very easy to have problems with the gasket.

Agreed, I should have noted this. I urned til it stopped. Then used the wrench up top to tighten.

Thanks for the ideas, I have received several PM's and have decided to purchase from a member.

emr

...:idea:...How can Memphis be the only good supplier, they are very very expensive,and hard to deal with on alot of things. and a guy in this thread has a complete set of mil specs for 50 bucks, I have complete sets for 75, I would think the 50 dollor ones would sell out in a heart beat, that is a GREAT deal, and a fellow SS guy to boot. :idea:

deuceman51

Thanks for the kind words guys. Doghead, i'm not 100% on the micron rating, but as a full time NG mechanic for the SDNG, we frequently use baldwin filters(what I sell) and we used my same filters on our deuces. If they are interchangable with other mfgs through the system, than they have to meet the same specs uncle sam put out on the originals otherwise they would not be approved for use. I'll agree, the spin ons are nice, but you can do a lot of conventional filter changes for the cost of one spin on setup.

bassetdeuce

I would like to add that spin on filters are not practical for those of us with a fleet of trucks. Also, after you've handled the conventional filters several times, it gets easier.

deuceman51

That's what keeps me away. It costs almost $500 to do an entire truck with spin ons and I own way too many deuces to do the conversion. If you only have one truck and that's your baby, then it's a lot easier to justify. Spin ons are nice, but they do leak also from time to time. Just the nature of anything mechanical.

bassetdeuce

Perhaps my math is off. My spin-on kits are as follows:

Primary fuel filter kit............$100 plus $10 shipping
Secondary fuel filter kit.......$125 plus $10 shipping
Oil filter kit..........................$150 plus $11 shipping
Total...................................$406

Purchased as an entire engine kit......total $350

Maybe it's a matter of opinion I guess. But I wouldn't call that almost $500.

Not to mention for the guys that bought several complete kits I've gone down even lower.
Didn't know you were currently offering them. I was referring to Jatonkas kits. Excellent, but too pricey to change over multiple trucks.

deuceman51

That is what I was refering to also. They used to be $200 for oil, $200 for secondary and final, and $100 for primary. That =$500. I see they have come down some, but still too pricy for my fleet. But as I stated before, they are nice to have and many members may decide to use them to make changes easier.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...:idea:...How can Memphis be the only good supplier, they are very very expensive,and hard to deal with on alot of things. and a guy in this thread has a complete set of mil specs for 50 bucks, I have complete sets for 75, I would think the 50 dollor ones would sell out in a heart beat, that is a GREAT deal, and a fellow SS guy to boot. :idea:
Prolly should have said 'stocking' supplier, sorry.

I agree 100% about Memphis or most of the other big boys as far as the prices. The local price I was quoted was 'right around $20ea', with a minimum of 20 ordered at a time. Guess thats why only the big boys have them in stock. I can't see a local vendor stocking these as you only need one every 10 years or so. I was just looking for an original replacement for mine without having to go aftermarket. Grins and giggles you could say...

I did purchase the $50set and the pf906 will not work for me. After sliding it into the housing, it is 1" short of coming to the top. And yes, I did place the spacer in the 'up' position. Other than that, I have nothing but praise for them, costs and service considered.

deuceman51

Something else is missing in your filter cannister. I've installed literally 20 or more of the baldwin filters into M35A2s and all filters work perfectly. Do you have any pictures of your so we can determine what's wrong?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using the pf906 as primary? From the info I find it's a 4 micron filter and, IMHO not suitable as a primary.
The pressure is only 6-8 psi at this location and even a slightly used 4-micron filter may present a big pressure drop, putting a strain on the IP boost pump. I'm not an expert on these things, but some research is in order considering that the original primary is 40 microns.
The secondary and final filters are under a much higher pressure...

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something else is missing in your filter cannister. I've installed literally 20 or more of the baldwin filters into M35A2s and all filters work perfectly. Do you have any pictures of your so we can determine what's wrong?
Unfortunately its back on the truck...When I take it off next time, i'll take pics. Although I might be getting a spin on kit...that forward bolt on the alt is, well, I'll just say, uh, err, um, :twisted::twisted::twisted:pleasant :twisted::twisted::twisted:to get to. I have the modified box end stashed in the glove box for now...:mrgreen:

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep I am converting both of mine over too. The bad news is Napa Fleet filter has had these on back order now for over two weeks.:-(
Good news!Napa Fleet filters has the 24770 Wix & Napa 4770 Base back in stock . I got an email Friday from them saying they were shipped and I should have them via UPS by Monday. Two with shipping [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Total[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$54.26[/FONT]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks