• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary fuel filter

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How long since it had been changed?

PWM

I thought it was done just before I bought the truck last year. Now I think it may have just been the secondaries. I will find out in a few days when I get to the secondary filters. The engine was re-built in 1991 probably then.

PWM

I bought the truck from a private individual, so I should have checked earlier. My front plate is held on with zip-ties until I weld some nuts to the grill and bolt it on, one of the many small tasks I have yet to complete. .

Attachments

PWM

Not yet, the filter housing is still sitting on my work bench. It got dark and started raining/snowing so i quit for the day, AKA no shop.

PWM

Sorry for the double post. My computer has been having a hard time in the past couple of weeks on this site. I have pages fail to load and somtimes i get sent back to the forum index page while i am typing.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't be overly concerned about the quantity of "muck" in the primary filter, that's its purpose in life to collect this kind of junk and keep water from getting past it. It can probably hold a pint and still work well as long as the filter is changed or cleaned regularily.
Make sure that the drain cock works, so that you can drain the filter housing normally after everything is put back.
For those of you, who have seen this picture before, I apologize, but not everybody reads all posts. :)

Took care of your double post.....

Attachments

PWM

Thanks, I think I got my computer fixed up and I am having a better time now. It took a while to clean the drain but I got it done and now it is back together on my bench. Earlier today did a search and found some of the pictures you posted in the past and looked everything up in the TM. When I took it apart the cone shaped washer was backwards under the spring and the spring was directly under the filter. I put it together the way the TM showed and your pictures helped, thanks. It does not appear that anything went past the filter but I was surprised to find a half can of chili and some corn in my fuel filter housing. I did find some chips of paint that is used on the inside of the military jerry cans, I checked my cans and sure enough it is chipping off. Time to get some new ones.

Pete.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the correct procedure to drain the primary and secondary fuel filters? I found that when I drained the primary with all electric and engine off, it would drain and I could hear fuel drain back into the fuel tank at the same time (sucking air in to the drain-cock). I also tried it once with the power on (accessory switch) and , Wow does it flow! (and splatter all over, even though I had a 1 gallon pail under it) I would have thought a slow gravity drain would be most effective, but maybe pump pressure would "blow" everything out best?
And for the secondary, I have only drained them with "Everything off" , then closed the drain-cock, and then turned on the accessory switch and opened the bleed valve on top to bleed them after.
Is there a step by step procedure in a tech manual? If so, could someone point me too it?

Banshee365

Most non-enthuisiast deuce owners have no idea the primary filter is there. Sometimes it get's overlooked. As Bjorn said, don't be overly concerned about the muck in the bottom of the housing. My truck had the same ammount if not more. I wouldn't get concerned until the final and secondary filter housings looked like that. My truck was also missing components in the filer housing assembly's which I robbed off bad engines at my buddies farm. I was missing the spring, metal bell piece, and some o-rings. With no spring or cap the filters is just sitting in the housing doing nothng but soaking in fuel,make sure all of the components are there.

As for draining the housing, I also concluded what doghead said. You will get a couple of drops draining the petcock with the transfer pump off but that's it. When the pump is off the fuel system is sealed and when there is no air or fuel to replace the fuel running out, it ain't gonna run! Turn the pump on and, like doghead said, be prepared to take a diesel bath if you're not prepared.

-Kelly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks