• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primer Pump Not Coming On MEP 803-A

Superfrank

Hey Fellas,

Once again I'm having issues with my MEP 803-A. I have it set up with the Innova board and an auto transfer switch and it's been working fine since last summer. I was servicing my tractor, and I have the generator set to cycle every Sunday at 3PM with a load for 20 minutes. That's been working great too. Today, all of the sudden it started cranking and it cracked for longer than I thought it should and never started. Usually when it goes to cycle the first thing you hear is the primer pump working (loud clinking sound) then it starts and runs. Today I never heard the primer pump come on, just the cranking which surprised me. I went over to start it manually, which you can do with this board, and when I switched it over to the prime position nothing happened. Go all the way to start and it does turn over it just won't start without being primed first.😡 You guys always have the answers for me, so please save me again!🙂

Thanks,
Frank

Superfrank

Hello,
I'm not even sure where the pump is located. If you could direct me to it's location I'll have a look today and report back as to the type of pump.
Thanks,
Frank

Zed254

Aux pump is located on radiator side of machine behind fuel tank cover shown in '802 well nut removal' picture. Main fuel pump is accessible when you open the door on the oil filter/dip stick side of your machine. It will be located on door latch side, mounted to bulk head near radiator as shown in 'airtex E1074....'. These are the cylinder type pumps.

Attachments

Superfrank

Well my main fuel pump is the square type. Thanks for directing me to it's location, I couldn't see it as it's mounted behind the perforated radiator shield. Any idea where to source a new one. I'm not sure the aux pump is working either so I'd like to pick one of those up as well.
Thanks guys,
Frank

Zed254

Look for an Airtex.......or whatever outfit bought them out. Someone mentioned that Airtex has been sold. I don't think the OEM one is available so you'll need some additional fittings. The fuel filter at each pump is an Airtex G17.

Daybreak's parts and filter list will help you in the future..... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-802a-mep-803a-filters-and-parts.186068/

Guyfang

Staff member
STOP, STOP, STOP!

Maybe you should try and test the pump first. You have not mentioned testing it, and if you have not, maybe you should do that. Might save you some money.

The way I like to test is to place S1 in the run position, and check the female side of the plug for 24 volts. If you have 24 volts, and the pump will not run, the pump is shot. I also always test the pump. I run two wires from someplace on the set that are hot, and apply them to the pump. The Pin A in the plug is positive. Why test the pump if you have 24 volts DC at the female side of the plug? Because i had several instances where the wire was bad from the male side of the plug.