• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Priming M813 fuel system?

cbvet

I really need to replace the fuel filter in my M813. The priming pump on the dash is jammed in.
Can I just fill the filter can with fuel before installing?
Any other ideas how to prime?
Can/should I just repair or replace the primer pump? Anybody ever done it?
Thanks for any help guys.
Eric

Hammer

You can apply a small amount of air pressure to the fuel tank, and let the air out at/near the IP.

But, it is easy enough to FILL the fuel filter up as much as you can, install it, and just start the truck. If it was running before you swap the filter out, it shouldn't be all that big of a deal.

I did it this way without using the primer, and didn't have any issues. But using the air pressure is an easy backup.

cbvet

Well, I figured out that the primer pump shaft comes out really easy. "O" rings looked fine, so I oiled them up & the pump works fine. I think it was just dry from sitting.
I filled the filter canister just to save time. Started right up & runs fine.
Thanks again.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just keep in mind that when you fill a filter on the Cummins, you are putting unfiltered fuel into the system. There are some class fit parts in the pump that don't like unfiltered dieselgas.

area52

Someone more knowledgeable than me correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the priming pump just put fuel in the intake and not actually "prime" the fuel system? I think its just a cold start aid?

Hammer

Here is what the TM has to say about it.

Primer pressure gauge indicates pressure delivered by hand primer pump during cold
weather starting and used when purging fuel system of air.

bassetdeuce

Just keep in mind that when you fill a filter on the Cummins, you are putting unfiltered fuel into the system. There are some class fit parts in the pump that don't like unfiltered dieselgas.
That is why I use a small 1 gallon fuel can and pour the fuel into the housing with a small spout. I hold the filter down so that the bottom is sealed against the spring cup, and carefully pour clean diesel between the housing and the outside of the filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks