• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Probably a dumb newby ? but here goes

theglassman

this may be herasee around here but has anyone thought about a cummins swap from a later model 1ton.....harness and all............maybe for a bobbed play rig.............

ok now im ready to dodge the artillery shots coming my way........:grin:

Blood_of_Tyrants

The 5.9 Cummins is an excellent choice for the deuce or 5 ton, especially one out of a bus. You can easily cut the engine weight in half and double your power.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cummins Military Systems used to do that swap in the deuce, later 5 tons had the NHC-250 Cummins in them.

Jones

dumb newbie?!?... heck we all were, once upon a time. Welcome to the site.

The 5.9 is a great choice and once you stop thinking 'Dodge/Cummins' you'll find a whole world of other accessories for them; direct bolt-on Bendix air compressor with power steering pump, SAE bell housings that allow driver side or passenger side starter placement and the use of a number of stick shift transmission chiocess as well as Allison automatics.
Like Blood of Tyrants says; school buses are good donor vehicles. Others are; FedEx and UPS delivery trucks, ex-armored cars, a lot of Freightliners are showing up with them too.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When you do a swap like that you lose the muti-fuel capability of the original engines.
That is one reason I like them as is.
Would I do a swap to get more HP and speed? Yep...if I had the resouces, time and the expertise.
If you don't mind ponying up for diesel fuel go for it.

Jones

Wreckerman is right; however most of the multi-fuelers I've run across already have the FDC blocked off so they're straight diesel anyway.

I'll admit I've never done the math but it would seem logical that an engine that puts out more HP and more torque would in effect be loafing to get the same performance and road speeds. Therefore, be a little easier on the fuel consumption?... Yes?... No?

Snarky

If or when my deuce does the famous rod through the block trick, I'll be looking real hard at mechanical 5.9s, they seem to have limitless potential for making modifications.

theglassman

Are you thinking about doing that to one of these "WWI and WWII Vehicles » 5-ton and Larger"? Wayne
i was thinking about going this rout because i know where a few complete rigs minus motor tranny stuff for anywhere between 500 and 1500 bucks...

What does a 5.9 Cummins go for?
a complete truck can be found around me for anywhere between 800 and 2500...depending on condition.........there are lots of trucks runnin around here that run good but the bodies are thrashed.....

Wreckerman is right; however most of the multi-fuelers I've run across already have the FDC blocked off so they're straight diesel anyway.

I'll admit I've never done the math but it would seem logical that an engine that puts out more HP and more torque would in effect be loafing to get the same performance and road speeds. Therefore, be a little easier on the fuel consumption?... Yes?... No?
my 97 dodge gets 19mpg empty and 14mpg pullin 25000 lbs......even better if you modd out the motor..
a good friend of mine has 1 crankin out 800hp and around 1200flb's of torque and still gets 18 to 20 mpg..

emr

Actually they are still multi fuels, and allways will be , it is in the engine design, the compensator does help to make multiple fuels run smoothly though, that is its job, just an fyi....but very very true....Randy

Jones

It's true that any compression ignition (diesel) engine will run on almost anything oily and flammable... just not necessarily run well.
The fuel density compensator is there to make minor IP adjustments for the different fuels so that power output stays fairly close to #2 diesel-- the fuel of choice.

We sometimes had to run multifuelers on some god-awful mixtures in Nam due to;
Fuel availability (whatever is in the fuel tanker is it-- there was no "We'll wait for premium 'cause regular makes 'er ping"),
Mission requirements (how close are we to incoming fire and how bad do we want to get out of here).
It wasn't encouraged but it was tolerated.

theglassman

what is so good about these multi fuel motors..........

can they be modded out to 800 horsies......

and is it possible to get the mpg up around 15 to 18.........and cruse at 75 or so.........

ill admit i know noda about the militery motors.....

theglassman

I cant amagine changing my multifuel engine.If you want a 5.9 cummins go buy a Dodge truck.The multifuel engine was one reason why I bought a deuce.:roll:

well i guess that when your motor goes out you would turn down a perfectly good runnin "dodge" doner truck down......

as stated the only way a i could ever aford to have a duece would be to get one that doesnt have a motor anyway....

there seems to be alot of deep pockets on this forum............un fortunitly mine arent that deep...

area52

what is so good about these multi fuel motors..........

can they be modded out to 800 horsies......

and is it possible to get the mpg up around 15 to 18.........and cruse at 75 or so.........

ill admit i know noda about the militery motors.....
Not unless you want it to go KA BOOM!!

These engine were made to go offroad under bad conditions using various available fuels. Not as an over the road daily driver.

Mileage might be possible to get 14mpg or so but the rest you just are not gonna get safely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks