• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem after replacing battery

Quintus

Hey all,

I've been registered to this site for awhile but forgot my old sn, so had to create a new one. Anyway, here's my problem...

I own a '69 Jeep/Kaiser Deuce and have had it for about 3 years now (still consider myself extremely new to this hobby however). This last summer, I had left the starter switch on after shutter her down. After coming back to the truck a few months later, I found that my batteries were dead. I tried charging them, but only got one to charge to about 10 volts. Took the other to the shop, got it tested and definitely was toast. Purchased a new Interstate 6TL (my 2 old batteries were labeled as Interstate U6TL batteries) for a hefty price. Ouch! Anyway, installed the batteries back in, but found that the old one only had about 4.5V on it. So, charged it up again and read 11V. With that, I hoped in the truck to try to fire it up. Turned on the starter switch and got my air pressure buzzing sound. Sounding good so far... But wait- when I hit the start button, I either get a sort of popping/clicking (hard to describe- think it's the starter trying to turn things over???) noise or just a single click (the selonoid) and then nothing... Lights come on, got the buzzer, so everything seems to be in order...

My question is: Am I maybe just not getting enough amps off of the old battery to help things turn over or could the starter be bad instead? I'm hearing the solenoid, so I'm inclined to think the starter's ok... Any help is greatly appreciated guys...

Sincerely,
Quintus

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just because the one old battery shows 11 volts doesn't mean its good. Swap that one out and you should be good to go.

Quintus

could I throw on some jumper cables from my regular car battery? I'm wondering if the combined amps (batts being in parallel now) would be enough and then if so, I know it's the old battery for sure. Is that a worth a try?

goldneagle

Get the old battery replaced. Wishing is not going to get it back to working order. You probably have one dead cell in the battery. You do not need to get direct replacements for the 6TL. As long as the battery has enough CCA it will do just fine. Other members use Walmart, Advanced, Autozone, NAPA batteries with good results.

goldneagle

could I throw on some jumper cables from my regular car battery? I'm wondering if the combined amps (batts being in parallel now) would be enough and then if so, I know it's the old battery for sure. Is that a worth a try?
Take the battery to any auto parts store and they will test it for you. I'll bet you go home with a new battery!

AMX

I rolled my backhoe upside down, all the batttery fluid drsined out ( eating through a good bit of steel at the same time). When the machine was righted two months later ,I filled the battery with 6 bottles of drinking water. After jumping off the machine (with that drained battery in it), the battery is still strong and cranks the cummins easily, even at 20 degrees this winter. I would never have believed it.

Stalwart

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, replace just one battery in a 24 volt system that has two batteries in series. They should be replaced in pairs and be the EXACT same battery, if possible they should even be from the same lot number! Not following this will result in the new battery being overcharged and the old one being under charged. This will KILL your new battery!

197thhhc

11 volts is not good a battery should sit at 12.5 to 12.9 volts just sitting. If you put a multimeter on the battery while its cranking its probably going down to nearly nothing.

I use 24 series batteries in both our deuces they aren't expensive and they last a good long time. But you have to have 2 good batteries to crank a multifuel over.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tha t should get the truck started, but it will not fix your problem.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEVER, and I mean NEVER, replace just one battery in a 24 volt system that has two batteries in series. They should be replaced in pairs and be the EXACT same battery, if possible they should even be from the same lot number! Not following this will result in the new battery being overcharged and the old one being under charged. This will KILL your new battery!
Ditto

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

I've been registered to this site for awhile but forgot my old sn, so had to create a new one. Anyway, here's my problem.,
Quintus
Just a heads up here , but you need to contact mangus580 and get your accounts straightened out your only allowed to have 1 account . With all the recent problems on the site if you don't get it cleared up with mangus you could get banned .

Farmun

Yes, buy them in pairs. My truck had the U6TL batteries. One got to where it wouldn't maintain a charge, (charged them independently) and when hooked up, the bad battery drained the good one down to where they wouldn't crank the motor over (at least that's my uneducated WAG). This past Saturday I installed a new set of Interstate MTP-78 DT and she fires up instantly.

renovate7

Just a little info...If you drain your batteries down, for what ever reason, many times the newer chargers will not initially charge them. The charger has to detect a minimum charge to start. On a drained battery begin with the charger on the 2 amp/trickle charge settiing. Leave it there for hours. Then you can go to the 10 amp setting and charge the battery. This works for good condition batteries. If your batteries were on their last legs and you drain them badly they are usually done. I've brought back batteries from a 0.0 volt reading before...The WORSE thing you can do is put a charger on the 50 amp setting to try and get the batteries going. This will fry them.

Quintus

Thanks Renovate... I did indeed charge the batt at 2 amps. I left the charger on for hours like you said. First time I got up to 10 volts, but then a couple of weeks later it was reading 4.5V. Charged it again (yesterday) and got it up to 11V- just wasn't sure if that was enough or not... After getting the replies this morning, I disconnected the older battery from being in series with the other (just in case) and have called my shop to order another 6TL (another $300 later right? Ouch!). :p Well, no one said this hobby was cheap... :lol:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well, no one said this hobby was cheap
That is the nature of the beast.

For a while I was buying brand new blems with 1200 CCA for 40 bucks each.......unfortunantly my source dried up.

Since I have three dueces I keep two extra sets of matched batteries on standby (not in the trucks) so I always have a hot set ready to go. The yard beotch is the only one I keep a set in.

Get a matched set and make sure there is no drain on the system to pull them down while the truck sits.

It's a good idea to start the truck at least once a week....that's what we did in the Army.....it was called "Motor Stables".......that is also when we did all our Preventative Maintenence Checks and Services (PMCS).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks