• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem getting my new deucee to run right.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just got my new Air Force deuce home Monday, and I have been poking at it trying to get the engine to run. While it is a nice truck it was used a parts vehicle, so it is missing some things like the alternator which means no fan or water pump. This should not be a problem for short runs though to confirm her running condition though. I have not found anything else that should directly affect the engine, or can't be bypassed with ease.

So I did the usual hydro-lock checks, and such. I then tried to start her up with no luck, so I gave her a squirt of ether. She started up blowing water and junk out the stack from sitting unused for about half a year. I did this several time as she would cut out after running for maybe at most 10 seconds. Over the last few days I have been repeating this and she will now continue to run for maybe up to a minute, but she does not want to keep an even idle. She also makes very slow response to throttle. With up to a 5 second delay or so. She does not want to fire up without ether at all even now. She does run well though while running. I have checked the fuel delivery to the secondary filters, and the cables going to the IP, and all appear to be ok. Any ideas on what to check next, or what might be going on?

sermis

I have checked the fuel delivery to the secondary filters

Turn on the power switch and drain the primary filter on the frame. With the valve open and power switch turned on the fuel should spray out. Do the same for the filters on the motor. It sounds like you are not getting fuel to the IP.

sermis

What type of fuel. I had a lot of gas in my truck and it did not want to fire up or keep running. Drained and replaced with fresh desiel and poff all was better.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have opened the top bleeder on the secondary filters, and fuel is coming out the bleeder. Some bubbles at first though. I am also getting fuel returning to the fuel tank. The fuel pump on this new deuce is super quiet compared to my 70. I am thinking it is not getting fuel to the IP either, or the IP is having problems.

Well it smelled like stinky old diesel. There was only an inch or two in the tank. I filtered it all and then added five gallons of fresh diesel to the old stuff.

sermis

Some bubbles at first though

Not enough fuel in the tank, clogged up filters. The fuel should really shoot out when the pump is running. Add another 5 gallons and bleed the system again.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just drained down the fuel filters to double check that. It looked like ok fuel coming out. It did not shoot out, but then again I might not have opened the drain all the way. One thing I did notice is that there is a dripping noise that sounds to be coming from the secondary filters. I had noticed this before, but did not pay it much mind. Perhaps one of the filters is obstructed, and only a little fuel is entering the next filter thus making that noise. I think I will change the filters tomorrow just in case. Changing the filters is awful easy anyways with the alternator missing. I am confident that the fuel level is high enough as there is definatly fuel returning to the tank. It won't hurt to add some though.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
pull the cover on the shut off cable and see that the rod going to the rear moves very freely. then give it a healthy dose of diesel fuel additive/cleaner

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I changed the oil filters, added additional fuel, and blew out the fuel lines as best as I could. It is still doing the same thing. I can get it to run, but I have to fight the throttle delay to keep in the right RPM. One thing that stood out is that due to improper instillation of the primary filter it was effectively bypassed letting gunk past it even though the filter still was kind of dirty. I also noticed that the fuel line routing looks to run it from the primary filter to the bottom of the IP then to the secondary filters and then back to the IP. I am wondering if the IP might be clogged up where it first goes into the IP after the primary filter?

The shut off cable does appear to move freely and cuts off the engine when operated. I did not have time to open the cover though.

sermis

I did not have time to open the cover though

Cable can move but not be moving the cutoff. Only way to know is to pull the cover and check it.

n1vbn

The DEUCE fuel tank pickup tube is set to leave 1/4 of a tank of fuel in case it is contaminated. All deuce's are set that way from the factory per Army spec.

Drain whatever is left in the tank using the drain plug on the bottom and refill with fresh fuel after replacing the drain plug.

Jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
builder77 said:
.... I also noticed that the fuel line routing looks to run it from the primary filter to the bottom of the IP then to the secondary filters and then back to the IP. I am wondering if the IP might be clogged up where it first goes into the IP after the primary filter? .
The fuel goes to a small gear pump on the IP (not the IP itself), which boosts the pressure to the secondary and final fuel filters as well as feeding the flame heater system.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
n1vbn said:
The DEUCE fuel tank pickup tube is set to leave 1/4 of a tank of fuel in case it is contaminated. All deuce's are set that way from the factory per Army spec.. Jim
Hmmm...I'd like to see that spec. The pump is a fraction of an inch from the bottom and needs 1-1/2 to 2 inches of fuel to function.
If the pump is set higher, you'd have no fuel on a steep slope....

If water contamination (water sinks in the fuel) is suspected, just crack the drain. Smaller amounts of water is trapped in the water separator (primary fuel filter).

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got off late from work, but I was able to steel the alternator from my other truck in order to get the water pump to work. As per Westech's suggestion I added fresh gas to dissolve any gunk in the IP. I managed to get her running for almost 1/2 hour till it got dark. The idle is leveled out with normal throttle response. It is still running a little rough though and I am not feeling strong injector pulses in the 4th and 5th injector lines counting front to back. I can feel it in the exhaust at a low idle RPM. I am hoping that more time tomorrow running should break things loose.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
n1vbn wrote:
The DEUCE fuel tank pickup tube is set to leave 1/4 of a tank of fuel in case it is contaminated. All deuce's are set that way from the factory per Army spec.. Jim

that's just not true. it might be refering to the pickup tube for the fuel burning heater, but i imagine it is set higher so it will not use up all the fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks