• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem Starting my M1009

1984M1009

It seems the technical manuals are down at the moment

But if I understand correctly . The wire with the red fusible link is the one that I probably blew.

Although it looks like there should be two?

My fusible links on the 24v side are as folllows

2 blue
2 orange
1 red

obviously one of the one blues goes to the glow plug relay the other 4 are all wrapped together.

I appreciate the Help

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, you DO realize that it's a 25+ year old truck.

Chances are HIGH you need new battery cables. And no, not the cheapo chinese ones.

Have them made up by your local auto parts store. AT LEAST a 4 gauge though 0 gauge is definitely the way to go.

I've done this on all THREE of my CUCV's and along with both new batteries, they turn right over and start right up.

They are all three my daily drivers, as I don't OWN a civy vehicle. But for the money I could have spent on a civy vehicle I own three CUCV's and have gotten then into good running condition.

There is no reason for your CUCV not to start right up and run correctly. If it's not, you have some work to do. But once they ARE running properly, minor maintenance keeps it that way.

I love mine for sure.

So, good batteries and GOOD BATTERY CABLES. With those two pieces chances are high that the rest will fall in to place. But if you are not getting good strong power to the starter, the truck will ALWAYS have problems starting REGARDLESS of all the other things you fix.

just my .02

EDIT - don't forget a good 24 volt solargizer or trickle charger if parked indoors to keep it properly charged up.

Last edited:

1984M1009

Well as of right now I have no 24v power to the starter relay so nothing at all happens. But yes next weekend I am going to replace the battery cables and convert all the 24v fusible links to fuses. I know I blew one of them screwing around the week prior. Also replace the starter relay with the doghead one

Stratoghost

Alright, I said I would post what I did to get mine to work, but I forgot as I was so happy that it actually ran.

I bought some wire brushes and a large tube of dielectric grease. I unscrewed every contact on the positive and negative blocks on the firewall and brushed every contact, washer, nut, battery terminal and cable end. I applied dielectric grease to every side of everything and screwed it back together.

There was a lot more oxidation than I thought just by looking at it.

One other thing...
There was a wire that went between the positive and negative blocks that had 3 diodes or something on them. When I removed it, it fell apart. I have no idea if it was already apart when I took it off or not. It was heavily corroded. Since the truck runs without it, I am guessing that it is not an essential piece of equipment.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing...
There was a wire that went between the positive and negative blocks that had 3 diodes or something on them. When I removed it, it fell apart. I have no idea if it was already apart when I took it off or not. It was heavily corroded. Since the truck runs without it, I am guessing that it is not an essential piece of equipment.
That is the Noise Suppressor for the Military Radios. Not needed for everyday use.

1984M1009

Well I give up on this thing.

I can not fix the problem with the +24v power going to the starter solenoid.

I ran a seperate wire to the starter relay and now i have power to the starter and the starter solenoid but the starter does nothing not even the solenoid. So maybe the starters bad too but I think I am done spending money on this thing.

caladin

My truck would not start today. I did the doghead relay change and it started. my 2cents

Last edited:

1984M1009

The red wire has no power. and I can not figure out why .

I ran a seperate 24v wire to the solenoid and now get power to the purple wire at the starter but still nothing happens

mistaken1

The red wire has no power. and I can not figure out why .

I ran a seperate 24v wire to the solenoid and now get power to the purple wire at the starter but still nothing happens
By "purple wire at the starter" do you mean physically right at the solenoid on the starter?

If you have 24V at the solenoid on the starter when soldier b turns the key to the start position but get no sound (and the starter motor does not turn) they I would say either the solenoid on the starter does not have a good ground or it is bad.

What is the voltage reading where the positive wire is connected to the starter? Not I have power but a very precise xx.xx volts. Does it change any when soldier b turns the key to the start position?

Have you removed and cleaned and reconnected all of the electrical connections on the starter? If you are confident the ground is good then I would look for a new starter.

As far as lack of power on the red wire did you check the 24V fuse in the fuse block?

1984M1009

I pulled the starter off and took the solenoid off the little wire on the s terminal is burnt & broken.

Anybody have a part number for a new starter solenoid

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll ask again.

Did you download the tech manuals and study the first few pages of the Troubleshooting Section to learn how to read the wiring diagrams? Even look at the wiring diagrams I listed?

I posted the other day what fusible links you fried.

Without replacing the fusible link that supplies power to the starter relay and the 24v fuse you will never get the truck started.

Here is the starter diagram E-1 you are looking for wire 1 RED-2Z. This is the fusible link that supplies the power to the starter relay and 24v fuse.

On the issue with the starter solenoid, you need to tell us if it is the old style direct drive or the new style gear reduction. Both styles have been discussed many many times and the assosicated part numbers and suppliers have been listed. We can't guess for you.

If you want to work on your own CUCV electrical system and don't know how, we really can't teach you over the internet. We can help you learn but we can't do it for you.

I'm sorry if I am soundinh harsh, but we can't help you without you helping us.

Attachments

1984M1009

Yes I downloaded tm's and have looked at all of the diagrams and every connection is good.

My voltmeter does not work either can I just run a new wire to the bottom fuse and call it a day. I have probably wasted 10 hours tying to figure this out and now that I now my starter solenoid is smoked. I want to get a replacement and get this running

I added a 24v fuse block under the hood and got rid of all the fusible links for the 24v except for the glow plugs.

It has the original direct drive starter its nearly new but now has a smoked solenoid

1984M1009

I just tried running the wire directly to the fuse panel and everything seem to be working.

So I am going to go and get fuse tap and run with it. I am tired of screwing around

CROM

TOTALLY unrelated question: I have a 4'' lift on the way and am looking at the Mickey Baja's, but can't decide on 33 or 35 inchers...I know either will fit, but I was wondering if you could post a pic of your truck so I can get a sneak peak of what mine would look like. No hurry, sounds like you've got more important food on your plate right now!

Thanks!