• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem this morning, need help.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter relay is under the dash. The starter solenoid is on the starter motor and what makes the bendix gear move out.
I am aware of which is which, I just wanted to verify what had been done. I sounds like a lot of people are talking about the civilian system which does not have a relay. Also the starter should not be turning without the bendix being engaged because of the contacts in the solenoid not making contact until the bendix is out.

Iamnewatthis

I am aware of which is which, I just wanted to verify what had been done. I sounds like a lot of people are talking about the civilian system which does not have a relay. Also the starter should not be turning without the bendix being engaged because of the contacts in the solenoid not making contact until the bendix is out.
So Rick,

Before i go pull the starter and have it rebuilt, what do you think that is?

It's definitly turning, i took cover off and watched it while my buddy turned the key.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like good deal to me, this way you have a new one and a name to go with it unlike a store bought one.

Rick

Iamnewatthis

Yes he's an older guy who seems to know his stuff.
He actually worked on another CUCV for a guy locally,
did his alternators.
Hopefully, after the starter is done it will start, then i'll take it
to him to check the alternators/charging system.
Thats his main area of expertise, so with any luck that will take care of it.
And like you guys said, I know more than when I started, and maybe I'll be
good for another 50K miles.

Iamnewatthis

Partial victory!

Put new starter in yesterday, and it starts!

But... Now the lights/turn signals don't work, lol.

Im just so happy that the truck starts again it doesn't even bother me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Wolf.Dose

Hallo,
I did not read me through all the statements above, however, some things were absolutle clear for me from the fist question:
the alts have been shot, new regulators and diode plates madantory (a mass production part of AC Delco, same as in very many passenger cars. Can be exchanged at home, always both parts!).
The fuseable links are shot, at least some of them. Had the same experiance several years ago. Took some time to find it. However, batteries were very good, so I could use the M1009.
My idea with all the starting trouble was from the first mentioning: The selenoid on the starter, the wire from the selenoid contact to the selenoid is broken. So the selenoid will not pull the starter in position and not crank the engine. Two times bad experiance with that.
There is a replacement starter for the relatively unreliable original stuff. It is the same as for the 6.5l Diesel. I changed to that one. With original bell housing that should fit exept the foremost mounting clamp which needs some modification. The attached pic shows the engine with the new starter model.
Wolf

Attachments

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Partial victory!

Put new starter in yesterday, and it starts!

But... Now the lights/turn signals don't work, lol.

Im just so happy that the truck starts again it doesn't even bother me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Fantastic. Now before you go digging in the wiring for the lights just make sure the service light switch is in the up position. You have to pull out and up.

Rick

Iamnewatthis

I know, lol, i checked that first. i'm feeble, but not that feeble, lol.
I've got company so i cant even get back into it till tmrrw.
Hope all you guys had a good thanksgiving.
I'll be back im sure begging for more help.

Iamnewatthis

Ok been digging thru the manuals but cant find a diagram for the lights.
Anyone have one they can post?
I've already changed all the fuses.

P.S. I just went thru my 3rd starter relay in a row. They are lasting about 3 starts on average.
I thought the borg warner was gonna be better and that the AC40 was inferior, but turns out the Borg warner just stuck too after 3rd start. Im switching to the "dog head relay" today.

Found the diagram for the lights.
Did the "dog head" relay conversion. So far so good after 3 starts.

Last edited:

Iamnewatthis

Okay, "dog head relay conversion" still going strong.

Fixed the lights, I missed putting a fuse in when i changed all the fuses, thats all it was. lol

After having the starter rebuilt, it starts and runs.

Whether the original issue was the starter, or the alternators i dont know yet. Having them tested today.

I also found a ground wire coming off of the fuse box that was not connected, after connecting it the volt meter
and batts seem to be charging better. Maybe it has nothing to do with it, maybe it was shorting the system.

After i have alternators tested i will know more what happened and will post on here in chronlogical order what happened, and what
the cause was, so other people can benifit from the experiance too.

At this point its leading towards just some loose belts didn't charge the batts. and the starter just happened to go out at the same time.
As to why it started blowing thru starter relays i dont know, but so far the "dog head" conversion is holding up.

will post again after get back from having alternators tested.

ragedracer

I will tmrrw. For now, it's coming from the top of the fuse box, don't know where from exactly. It's a skinny wire, like the smallest ive seen on the truck.
Its black with a white stripe.

I don't know that that's a ground. I have one of those too. It's just hanging, always has been (had the truck for a little over 2 years), and I don't have any electrical issues.

Iamnewatthis

I don't know that that's a ground. I have one of those too. It's just hanging, always has been (had the truck for a little over 2 years), and I don't have any electrical issues.
I think it may just be the seat belt alarm.
It made a buzzing sound the other day for the first time after i grounded it.

Had the alternators tested. Well, not bench tested but they put a 24 volt test light on
the batts. with the truck on, and they said it was reading 27 volts.
Then they put a load tester on it, and still 27 volts, then did the same with the lights and heater blower on, 27 volts. So they think the alternators are good.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just like to add that doing the recomended "must do's" in the FAQ
section is the way to go.
While i did replace the starter relay (AC40), and the GPR.
I did not clean any of the contacts, nor did i check or replace any fuses.
I would say if I bought another one of these, I would go thru and clean all the contacts at the gang plug,
replace fuses right off the bat, test the starter, alternators , and batts. before
I even drove it. Electricly speaking.
Simply checking the fluids, and changing the oil/filter aren't gonna get it.

Thanks again, enjoying my new truck again.[/QUOTE]

It takes a man to admit his mistakes and a better man to document them all for everyone to see. There are a lot of people that could learn from what you posted here. Glad to see it is running again and since you have gone over the whole thing it should serve you well.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks