• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problem with brights and inst lights/fuel gauge

llong66

Hello all, I have run into an interesting problem. It started when my oil pressure light quit working, checked bulb and such and ended up pulling the dash. I had a bad trace in the circuit board I repared. I have everything back working now except when I turn on my brights, my inst lights and fuel gauge go out. I have checked grounds, have LEDs for my inst lights which all work. I cleaned connections, etc. If I take the
bright indicator bulb out, all is fine, I have tried switching sockets (that is a regular bulb) run the traces on the circuit board, look over schematics, all with no luck. Could this be the switch in the steering column? I am at a loss for any possible solution. Any other ideas?

Thanks much!
Greg

1985 M1008

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps your repair is the cause?

Rvitko

I would be inclined to agree with doghead. I had a similar issue, switching the turn signal caused a hazard light type display and a gas gauge dance. When I reconnected the plug to the dash one of the leads on the board folded and came in contact with another. My board was in good shape except for the plug end and nothing was really damaged just unglued and free to move.

Rvitko

Fwiw, having replaced my multifunction switch and fuel sender, their is no other interaction of these components except at the cluster. They don't have any other common connections.

llong66

Hi, thanks for the replies! I don't think it has to do with my repair as it was no where near the bright indicator or anything. I will pull the plig and check the contacts, thanks for that idea, the weird part is that the inst lights and fuel gauge function if I take the bright indicator bulb out. The board is in pretty poor condition and I think I maky just end up replacing it.

llong66

Hey all! I wanted to say thanks again for evey ones help and ideas. I had not wanted to unplug the main plug for the very reason Rvitko mention with the over all poor condition of my circuit board. I managed to unplug it without further damage and did find as well as another broken trace, two that were shorted together where the two halves had delaminated. Its all fixed and working now, its actually the first time the interior bright indicator has worked since I bought the truck 5 or so years ago, so again, thanks! Now I just have to decide if I just want to get a replacement circuit board or do what some other members have done and go with gauges in place of some of the idiot lights. I have a cluster w gauges as well as the senders and plugs from an 80s truck sooooo who knows what winter will bring!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks